Goats 101 (956)

Shearing Time?

When is the correct time in the year to shear off that winter hair? I know this is a question I have every year, but usually mangage to figure out but when my goats get hot outside. But with the addition of two new goats over a year and a half ago, I

Read more…
13 Replies
Views: 705

Bedding

Okay. So for years I've been known as the weirdo who uses sawdust for stall bedding for my goats. So I thought it might be fun to start a poll. What kind of bedding does everyone else use and why? I think it will be fun to see what kind most people

Read more…
9 Replies
Views: 974

Feeding Bucks

Hello everyone! I'm 6 mos and 5 goats into my diary goat adventure! My little buckling "Windy Pond's Gandolf The Grey" (big handle for such a small guy), I just call him Gandolf is now 6 mos old. I am reading myself into overload, what the heck is sa

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 131

Housing Bucks

In the spring, I plan on getting a buck for my girls. I have a few questions. We have a barn, and on the south side of it, the girls are housed and they have access to their yard out of the door. How far away does the buck have to be to 1) not be so

Read more…
17 Replies
Views: 253

Kids Adjusting

We got our 2 wethers (3.5 months old) on Monday. They are fine at night, but they make a horrific bleating sound all day. Day 1 was horrible. I am surprised our neighbors will even talk to us and they don't even live too close. They sounds were ALL d

Read more…
8 Replies
Views: 94

Fencing And Toys

Another survey like forum, I want to find out what the most popular fence is to keep these little critters contained!! And what kinds of toys people provide My pen is made of 16 foot cattle panels. There are four of them attached together to form a

Read more…
13 Replies
Views: 319

Hoof Trimming

I am looking for input: How do you know when it is time to trim hooves? Do you do it yourself or have a vet do it? How difficult is it to do it properly if you have never done it before? Are there any helpful websites or books if you DIY? Any other t

Read more…
7 Replies
Views: 405

Housing

Has anyone ever tried to build a goat shelter from free pallet wood? There is a man about 15 minutes away that says he has about 300 pallets 50 shipping crates and some plywood each week that he needs to get rid of. We assume we would need to take th

Read more…
4 Replies
Views: 140

Poops!

Despite having 1.5 acres we still have neighbors directly to the north of our property, across the road to the south and I believe the land to the west may belong to someone but it so wooded that they don't use that portion. The east appears to be ve

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 59

Hoof Trimming- again

I posted before on this- but need a bit more info. We have been trimming the hooves a bit, but are now looking to buy better tools- we had been using a pair of clippers from my husband's toolbox. I see several types of hoof trimmers, hoof planes, hoo

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 67
RSS
Email me when there are new items in this category –