Goats 101 (957)

Buck Behavior

Hi, My daughter's  buck is a sweetheart but he has a very annoying habit now of pushing his head forcefully at you, hands, legs, whatever is near his head. He seems to want to be petted but he does not stop even if you pet him. And he only likes pett

Read more…
5 Replies
Views: 112

Winter Woes

HELP!  I need ideas.  We lost our livestock housing....snow collapsed it.  Our goats are in the outside pen with a 4 x 6 wooden structure.  We can't lock it up.  Now we have soooooo much snow  they are just jumping / walking over their 4 ft fence.  W

Read more…
5 Replies
Views: 94

Fencing questions

Okay so we are looking at working on the fencing for our new girls this weekend and I was wondering what you all thought about our plan and if there is anything we can do to improve upon it. We are fencing in about 1/2 acre or so for our 3 girls (2

Read more…
34 Replies
Views: 1766

Deciding who to sale

Well this is the first time that we are selling our Nigerian Dwarf Goat kids.  It is so hard to decide who to sale.  My goals are to have good milking and breeding quality.  However, when it comes down to deciding it's so hard.  So what do you do?

Read more…
7 Replies
Views: 73

Removing scurs???

I have a doe & a buck that have scurs & one doe that looks like she has one horn or just a really thick scur?? Anyway, I was wondering what you guys thought about having the scurs cut off & reburned instead of having then scurs surgically removed? I'

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 315

Attack dog...suggestions?

I was not sure where to post this one... you can move it to a more appropriate section if needed.

I have reason  to believe the big black dog that has been jumping my fence in the afternoons attacked my rooster, who is now in critical condition, bu

Read more…
10 Replies
Views: 77

Barn Heat

Has anybody heard that when using a heating lamp, you should use infered lightbulbs or the red lightbulbs? Someone said today that I should not use white heating lamp bulbs. Because it hurts the kids eyes. We currently are using white heating lamp bu

Read more…
7 Replies
Views: 565

Tattoo

Well the time is quickly coming that I need to start tattooing the kids.  My question is there a certain sequence of numbers/letters that you have to use? Do you typically use the first two letters of your farm name or just a variety of numbers or

Read more…
19 Replies
Views: 2059

COLD WEATHER COMING!

So the forecast here in Maine is calling for -30 degrees!!  I am getting REALLY nervous now about the goats living in igloos. I feel as though Im being neglectful! They are PACKED full of straw and the goats seem to be warm. The igloos are free from

Read more…
6 Replies
Views: 141

housing

We are getting our goats as soon as the "barn" and fencing are complete. We have a 12x16 lean to attached to the 12x16 shed (where I will milk and store feed that they will not have access to) that we plan on enclosing for the goats pen. The other id

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 99

Cold and Barns

Hey everyone,

This is not my first herd, but it's the first time I have locked my goats up at night in the barn.  I have heard a couple of things that made me want to check if I am doing it right.

2655727819?profile=RESIZE_480x480

To describe our barn/shed, there is a big hinged d

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 147

timing of heats

I have been trying to keep track of the heat cycles in my 2 does.I read that they will cycle every 18-21 days.How do you count that time? When is a heat over and when does it begin?I have one does that very obviously was in heat today.She had disc

Read more…
8 Replies
Views: 105

Electric Net!

We are thinking of using electric net for the goats movable pasture.  We are looking at Premier's fencing and was wondering if any one else uses this method and what size mesh and height works best for the NDG's.

Thanks for you advice in advance.

Read more…
6 Replies
Views: 678

Bucks alone?

Anyone have advice on keeping a buck by himself?  We had bought a wether to keep him company, but the wether cried all night when they were put together.  He missed the goat girls he'd been living with until then.  The buck is young, under a year, an

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 39
RSS
Email me when there are new items in this category –