Goats 101 (957)

Record Keeping

How do others keep records for each of their goats? Do you keep a folder for each or one notebook for all?

Also, I could not find one form that had everything on it that I can think to possibly record, so I have designed my own, now three pages long

Read more…
8 Replies
Views: 109

Minerals

My mentor and I have been discussing minerals lately because we have recently found a store that sells another mineral someone suggested. I feel reasonably certain everyone here agrees that Purina's minerals are bad because of the salt content.  Now

Read more…
12 Replies
Views: 79

alfalfa pellets

bought a bag of alfalfa pellets today - wondering how much I should feed my goats?  It says 1 to 2% their body weight......  I know it sounds like a dumb question - but wondered if anyone else uses pellets.

The still have orchard grass hay to eat (

Read more…
20 Replies
Views: 232

feeding brush

Hey there all, I'm new here, and I guess I need to introduce myself a bit before posing my question.

I'm from Alaska, and my husband and I have a home there, in a very small town. We're currently living in New Orleans, but we'll be returning to Alask

Read more…
11 Replies
Views: 166

grain ration

does anyone grow and mix their own grain formula?  Everything I read says you need all sorts of chemicals and supplements. Our grandparents didn't do this, does anyone feed just FOOD? In past years I had Nubians and fed them sweet feed, never had a p

Read more…
5 Replies
Views: 101

Weather

Hi! What is the minimum temperature that we should keep the barn with new kids, three month old kids and adults? I think that I read somewhere the temperature should be around 40 to 6o degrees.  Is that correct? Please help.. Thanks.

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 21

Weaning suggestions?

I got three goats this summer (my first goats) and two of them are mother and son.  I have been milking Mom and trying to get her to wean her little one for several months.  I had them separate for over a month and thought I had it done but now they

Read more…
5 Replies
Views: 81

DeWormer for kids

Does anybody recommend a certain type of dewormer for kids? I have tried to get them to eat the pellets and had no luck.  Do they make an injectable version safe for them? If not, is there a liquid that I can use? 

Thanks.

Read more…
5 Replies
Views: 98

wethers

Hi, I am popping up all over with stupid questions.  I am getting my first goats tomorrow: a doe, a wether, and a 3 month female kid.  The wether and doe are bro/sis twins and he was included in the package from the breeder because she said he is ver

Read more…
4 Replies
Views: 129

update and behavior question

I have not had time to post since my girls came home! I am so excited to have them. Isabel comes running up to get petted when she sees me. Indiana still hangs back but will usually sniff if I stick my hand out.... she likes her food David just calls

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 15

Goat Behavior

I thought it would be fun to discuss various odd goat behaviors...When I first brought home one of my young goats she would stiffen her front legs, ponce forward and bark, cough at the sight of my dog.  He is the sweetest dog, but does look threateni

Read more…
8 Replies
Views: 66

Goat Treats

OK, I know there are probably a million recipes out there.  I am looking for recipes or ideas for goats treats.  I have a young goat I am trying to train and she won't take any normal treats.  I am looking for all the ideas this audience has had luck

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 41
RSS
Email me when there are new items in this category –