Goats 101 (955)

Change over in feed...wow!

I have been feeding sweet feed goat ration since I got my goats.  I also have read everything I can about goat nutrition.  The goats were not cleaning up their small cup of grain each day and I wondered why.  I had thrown some sunflower seeds in and

Read more…
6 Replies
Views: 55

Tattoos

Hi! Is it absolutely necessary for the babies to have a tattoo for registering or selling? I hate to have this done.  My vet did the debudding and I realize that the fee can add up quick.  Does anybody have any ideals? When should it be done? At wh

Read more…
13 Replies
Views: 675

Weather

I was wondering what everybody is using to keep their goats cool? and warm in the winter? We have a metal barn and currently, use one big industrial fan and two box fans.  It has 4 stalls, plus: storage stall. 

The temp. in Kentucky is 95 degrees. 

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 38

bug sprays...?

Question - I forgot to ask my vet this morning....

Is there a spray product available that is safe for goats to deter mosquitoes ???? 
We live near a rather large man made pond (small lake really) that has a spring running into it behind our property,

Read more…
5 Replies
Views: 251

alpacas

We are planning on getting our first two alpacas (6 month old males) this weekend.  The reasons are many....first off, they are so darn cute!.....the fiber....also the theory of them being great herd protectors as we are moving a corral a little furt

Read more…
10 Replies
Views: 1528

Pasture space

Hi all, We're planning to get two Nigerian dwarf does in the spring for milking and for companionship for our son, and we want to ensure that we have adequate space for them. We also want them to eat as much pasture as possible. What is the ideal am

Read more…
28 Replies
Views: 4310

Barrels/Guard Dogs

Where do you find the round barrels for the goats to jump up on?  Silly question...

Also, we have a Great Prynese that is mixed with lab and ?  He is very agressive.  Would he attack our goats? or are they mostly a guard dog of the goats? Would you p

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 45

goat pen size and floor

I am going to be getting 2 nigerian dwarf wethers  and i plan on making the pen 16ft by 16 ft and using a calf hutch that is 4by 8ft , with a plywood frame bottom that is raised off the ground.The pen floor will be covered  with of wood chips because

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 1532

Milking Does

Hello! Okay, so I am sure you all know by now that I do not have milking does. However, when attending shows and trying to to promote the Nigerian, the most common question I cannot answer is "How much milk can they provide compared to a larger bree

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 122

Goats pecking order

We have two goats that are 1/2 sisters.  The dominating one is very aggressive to her sister.  It has become to the point that she will not even offer to fight back.  She takes the head butting and she gets hit often.  I understand the pecking order,

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 189

Goats and Baths

I am going to ask a really dumb question.  Should goats be given a bath when it gets warmer? Would this help with parasites? I notice all my goats--two does and two kiddings are itching around.  I did deworm them with pellets two weeks ago.

Thank

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 77

Disbudding

I know I read a few discussions on disbudding and now I can not find them, so again.
When is the best age to disbud a Nigerian? My buck is 11 days old now. Also, was the size of
the disbudding iron 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch.  I would appreciate any help in

Read more…
28 Replies
Views: 2433

Shearing Time?

When is the correct time in the year to shear off that winter hair? I know this is a question I have every year, but usually mangage to figure out but when my goats get hot outside. But with the addition of two new goats over a year and a half ago, I

Read more…
13 Replies
Views: 683
RSS
Email me when there are new items in this category –