Kids Adjusting

We got our 2 wethers (3.5 months old) on Monday. They are fine at night, but they make a horrific bleating sound all day. Day 1 was horrible. I am surprised our neighbors will even talk to us and they don't even live too close. They sounds were ALL day, but fine at night. Today was better- only because they lost their voices. As the day went on, they must have rested their voices, and started back again. We are trying to give them extra time, and be patient, but how long will this take to subside? We only have these 2 goats- is this enough? We have some climbing structures in their fenced area to help amuse them. WILL this stop? If it does not let up soon- I am afraid that we put WAY too much money into some pets that will not work out for us. We are desparate for ANY input!!!!

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We go get the new little guy this Sunday. We are excited and will keep all posted.
    Thank you for checking on us. :)

Dianea Fay said:
    How did the new baby settle in? Hope it was easy for you. Please keep us updated on their progress.
  • They're all individuals, so you never know. The fourth doe I bought never made a sound on the 8-hour drive home, so I thought that she was mute or something! She settled in quite nicely though and quickly established herself as herd queen after we got her home. Regardless of how he acts when you bring him home, he'll adjust. They all do, some sooner than others. Congratulations!

Crystal Swindell said:
    Things are much better now. Thanks for all of the pep talks. We are having a blast with our boys! I know see why people fall in love with these little guys and end up with large herds!
    We are going to pick up our third little wether next weekend. We are hoping that he will adjust well.
    Do you think that he will do the same thing and cry out for a few days?
    He will be about 8 weeks old when we get him.

• Things are much better now. Thanks for all of the pep talks. We are having a blast with our boys! I know see why people fall in love with these little guys and end up with large herds!
    We are going to pick up our third little wether next weekend. We are hoping that he will adjust well.
    Do you think that he will do the same thing and cry out for a few days?
    He will be about 8 weeks old when we get him.

Dianea Fay said:
    How are your 2 boys doing now that is has been a while with you? I am sure they have quieted down and look foreward to you spending time with them. Hope you are loving them up each day.
  • Thank You- THANK YOU for all of your input. I will keep you posted on our progress!
  • Woo hoo! That's great news!

I give my goats grain-based treats -- like tortilla chips (corn), crackers (wheat), cereal (oats, wheat, etc). I've seen people at shows give their goats fruit, including banana peels, but mine won't eat fruit. I know someone else who gives her goats stale bread -- just make sure there's no mold on it, because that would make them sick. Personally, I wouldn't give them marshmallows, because they're made of gelatin, which is an animal product (hooves, bones, etc), and goats are vegetarians. I admit I don't buy the vegetarian gelatin capsules for giving copper boluses, but they don't get very many of those, no more than 3 or 4 a year.

Crystal Swindell said:
    Our boys (brothers) did better today. As crazy as it sounds, I started bleating (a low calm sound) to them, and it seem to calm their panicked bleating sound. My family thinks that I am nuts, but it seemed to work.
    They still make the panicked sound when they see come out of the house or when we leave their pen, but they soon stop, which is a big change.

Are there any healthy snacks that we can offer them- sort of like a peace offering for making them have a new home?

I know that they are upset and adjusting. I guess that I just needed some moral support from some seasoned goat owners to get me through this.
    I will keep you updated on their progress.
    Thank you.

• Our boys (brothers) did better today. As crazy as it sounds, I started bleating (a low calm sound) to them, and it seem to calm their panicked bleating sound. My family thinks that I am nuts, but it seemed to work.
    They still make the panicked sound when they see come out of the house or when we leave their pen, but they soon stop, which is a big change.

Are there any healthy snacks that we can offer them- sort of like a peace offering for making them have a new home?

I know that they are upset and adjusting. I guess that I just needed some moral support from some seasoned goat owners to get me through this.
    I will keep you updated on their progress.
    Thank you.

Dianea Fay said:
    Just checking to see how the guys are fairing today. Are they brothers? If not did you seperate them from there brother? Just asking. They will get better I am sure of it. I hate it when we take a little guy from him mom he just crys and it is heart breaking to hear. We just try to love him more and distract him. Keep us updated please.
  • My Blueberry cried loudly! for a week. I was at wit's end and she just stopped. Today I can't imagine life without her. she is so sweet, gentle, and loving. I sit on my front porch and I call her name "Blueberry"!! and she bleats out to me. Every time!!
  • I agree with Dianea. They're just scared. It shouldn't take more than a couple days for them to quiet down. Be glad you didn't get cows. I sold a steer's mama one time, and he didn't shut up for a week. Goats adjust much quicker. Like you said, they were quiet for a little while today. I'd expect each day to continually get better. Once they realize that mama is not going to find them, they'll start to enjoy their new home. Goats are normally very quiet pets -- Nigerians, at least. Normally if they're making noise, something is wrong.
This reply was deleted.