Goats 101 (956)

My barns

Just for reference to help other newbies here are some photos of the two barns I built for my starting goat herd.  We are starting out with 4 does and 2 bucks.  The first barn is the doe barn and the second is the buck barn.  I will be glad to answer

Read more…
4 Replies
Views: 291

Baby goat horns

I"m a first time goat owner.  My doe delivered two babies yesterday and they are up and wagging their tails this morning.  I am not finding any evidence of horns.  Does that mean they are polled?  If not polled when will the horns become noticeable? 

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 84

Kids Not Thriving

Posted this to the goat forum I'm in this morning, but thought it might be good in a couple of different places. :)   I need some tips for some babies not thriving (appear healthy, just not gaining). I had two does kid May 15/16. One mama had a twin

Read more…
4 Replies
Views: 1469

Safe Landscaping shrubs

I have a hillside that is starting to erode away. I was thinking about planting either creeping juniper or creeping thyme to help stop the erosion. The hillside is not in the goat yard but it's within a few feet from it. I don't want to plant anythin

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 125

Goats won't eat minerals

How would you handle goats that refuse minerals?  Even my two Icelandic lambs, who live with my does, are refusing them.  I started using Crystal Creek (available at my feed store) but they won't touch it.  Not the does, not the lambs, not the wether

Read more…
14 Replies
Views: 766

Dairy Goat Feed

I've been feeding my lactating does DuMor Sweet Feed for a couple of years. I add BOSS and top dress it with kelp. Quite often, the does will leave behind the pelleted part of the feed. Umbarger makes a dairy goat feed and doesn't really have pellete

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 185

Hay

Hello all! I currently feed my goats timothy hay because my horses eat it. They like it but is there another, less expensive, hay that they would like just as much? I'm in Southern California and the most readily available hays seem to be alfalfa, be

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 309

Burdizzo fail

Two months ago, I castrated an 11 month old with a burdizzo (emasculator from Jeffers), and only one side took. This definitely could have been operator error, it was my first time using the tool, but I think the burdizzo was the culprit. I didn't

Read more…
9 Replies
Views: 370
RSS
Email me when there are new items in this category –