Goats 101 (956)

Moonspot?

So I'm a newbie, and I'm trying to learn about the coat patterns and colors. My doeling is light gold, and I noticed a darker gold spot on her back... could it be a moonspot? I can take better pictures tomorrow if this isn't a good enough one to tell

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 345

Stubborn goats

Hi guys. So our two bottle fed weathers which are being weaned refuse to drink water on their own. They’re down to 4 ounces twice a day of milk replacer. Tried molasses in the water. Tried the sucking finger trick. Any ideas? Were just worried to sto

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 31

Mesh Hay Feeder

Does anyone have experience using a mesh hay feeder for their goats?
I'd appreciate feedback on waste reduction, size of holes in feeder, and unintended consequences (goats injured or stuck). Also usability--how annoying is it to load? How durable?

Th

Read more…
6 Replies
Views: 290

Kids and Minerals

Hi all,

At what age do most kids normally begin licking from the free choice mineral feeders?  Mine 4 wethers are about 10 weeks old and I brought them home from the breeder two days ago. They are on Kalmbach medicated meat goat feed and free choic

Read more…
8 Replies
Views: 163

Hay for wethers

Hi. I have 2 ND wethers that have been on straight grass hay and Timothy or Orchard grass pellets. I have only been able to find a 50/50 alfalfa/orchard and Timothy hay mix to get through winter and spring. I know they shouldn't have straight alfalfa

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 233

Feeding does

Both our girls had twins, and r doing great. But, wanted to make sure, we r feeding them enough. They r getting Purina goat chow, alfalfa pellets, and BOSS with all grass hay. Have been wormed, regular, But they act they r starving to death. Again, w

Read more…
6 Replies
Views: 142

Dry Lot Question

Hi everyone,

Could someone please explain exactly what  dry lot is?  I've read about them over and over but still haven't seen what that means exactly.  Our 4 wethers are coming this week and I've fenced a 20X22 area  lot off the barn to give them

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 123

Tattooing

Is this a fine tattoo kit for the nigerian dwarfs? I didn't add a link, but here is the description.

• Special 3/8" letters & numbers fit right into the instrument
  • Use on pigs, sheep, goats, cattle and livestock
  • Holds up to 4 letters or numbers at a

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 288

LGD questions.

I've been thinking a lot about getting a livestock guardian dog, and I'd really like to. I currently have just two doelings that live in a nice big pen, with a little barn. Right now I'm locking them in the barn at night (for about 8-9 hours) and let

Read more…
6 Replies
Views: 151

Lost back teeth

This morning my husband found what looks like a string of the back teeth from one of our 8 NDs. Their front teeth are much taller than the ones he found on the ground, when he was cleaning their area. So we suspect they came from the back of one's go

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 121

doe kid disbudding

Hi...  I'm getting ready to disbud female kid. she is 13 days old.  My previous disbudding has always left small scurs. This time I want to make sure.   I've been waiting for the "prick" to feel on the top but it's almost but not quite there. Do I ha

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 75
RSS
Email me when there are new items in this category –