Goats 101 (956)

Standard body weight

Being new to raising goats, I am wondering if ours are at the right weight. I read the “Body Condition Scores in Goats” resource from one of Deborah’s older posts, and will try to assess our goats’ weight this way. However, I was wondering if there a

Read more…
7 Replies
Views: 167

Color Description

I'm trying to decide what I would describe my buckling's coloring as... he is mostly a reddish roan/ brown, with white markings, and the black markings that a chamoise would have -black underbelly, legs, and dorsal stripe. I would call him a broken b

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 82

Teff Hay for Wethers

Does anyone have experience using Teff hay?

I got my hands on some and stocked up for the winter--mainly because that's what was available by the time I got around to stocking up for the winter. A friendly acquaintance had grown it experimentally for

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 997

Copper Deficiency

Hello, we just rescued a buck Nigerian dwarf. His coat is completely white, I dont think he has a fish tail, the tip has hair, but the underside is completely bald. I am not sure if he has always been white or if this is a sign of copper deficiency.

Read more…
0 Replies
Views: 94

goat shedding

Hey all,

I am incredibly thankful for this website/ forum since yall have nigerian dwarf goats as well. I have had my goats coming up on three years and am by no mean a professional goat person. For some reason one of them is shedding like crazy. She

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 1292

Drying up a pregnant doe...

Hi everyone, I need some advice....

My doe is due March 28th, exactly 2 months from today. I didn't realize how close we were to the "2 months before kidding" mark, and I realized this just last week, and so I started drying her off by only milking o

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 179

Hay while on pasture?

Deborah,

In your book, I am pretty sure I read it in there, you say that goats should have access to hay pretty much 24/7.  I have hay available in our barns where the goats are when not out on pasture but currently do not have hay out in the past

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 152

Whats best

Hi everyone! I am new to the whole goat raising and homesteading but i find it extremely interesting and fun to learn about. Anyways my husband and i bought a goat whose roughly 4 months old give or take and we were told by the lady we got him from t

Read more…
6 Replies
Views: 155

Collars for goats

We are picking up our goats next week and to help facilitate moving them around our property we are looking at using leads.  So a bit of a odd question maybe but if buying a dog collar (with of course the break away clip) to use on a Nigerian dwarf g

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 785
RSS
Email me when there are new items in this category –