Goats 101 (956)

Hay selection

So as I am trying to get ready to welcome home our first group of goats, hopefully by the end of this month, I am attempting to figure out what to feed them and where to source it.  

My local Feed store carries hay that they called "coastal" hay.  Wh

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 185

Help!

Hello Everyone! My four year old doe, who has never been freshened appears to have a full udder. Its quite large and hard. I tried to milk her to reduce it, but nothing came out. She doesn't appear to be in pain. I've noticed that she is trying to hu

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 120

Feeding horse feed

Does anyone here feed horse pellets instead of goat? I have been struggling with copper antagonists here like crazy and was getting very frustrated. I found out that the previous owners of our property were using sulfur powder to control the fire ant

Read more…
17 Replies
Views: 538

Fencing

Always a great goat discussion!

We have a chunk of woods that I'd like to fence for our goats and I'd love recommendations.  I'd like to find something that looks nice but is on the lesser end of cost and labor.  Yeah yeah, I know...

How do you fenc

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 177

Hay Consumption

Hey all, hard to find a straight answer on this. Approximately how much hay can I plan on needing to feed 2 ND goats per day/week/month? I'll be getting a 4 Month Old Doe & Wether next Summer.

What's the average consumption amount. Without pasture gr

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 176

Separating my Buck

I have two does that are pregnant, and one buck.  Does should kid around January 12th. My goats are together in a 32'x32' fenced enclosure. They all seem to get along fine. 

The question is do I need to put him in his own pen and if so why is that?

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 1597

Fencing

I am planning on how to build my fence to keep the goats safe but I am not sure what to do about the bald eagles. How do you keep them from taking the kids, do they stay away because of the adults? I have several nest in the woods behind my house and

Read more…
2 Replies
Views: 87

Walking goats

So with the layout of our farm where we will be building the goat housing/holding area (this will primarily be for night time and those rainy days when the goats will not go out on "pasture") and one of the main browsing/grazing areas (overhead power

Read more…
5 Replies
Views: 151
RSS
Email me when there are new items in this category –