Another learning opportunity?
I have been keeping a super close eye on my herd, spending hours out there to observe who is chewing cud, to give supplements, etc. Tonite I went out right after they were fed (not by me) and noticed that there was moldy hay in the feeder. I could smell it and see it. I immediately threw it over the fence, but I don't know how many goats ate it or how much. Only one goat was there at the time. We feed in four different places. I also don't know if the other feeders had any moldy hay because by the time I inspected them, the hay that was left was fine.
So... I gave the goats I suspected might have eaten some, activated charcoal in water and then also gave them some probios. It has been an hour and no symptoms. How long does it take for symptoms to show up?
I have been waking up at 4 or 5am every morning and either checking on the goats or doing research. That seems to be when my brain starts thinking about things, so if I need to check on them every few hours, I will do that. What do you think?
My goats normally eat every last bit of hay. No wasting at all. The last two days I have been giving them free choice and still they eat all of it, so I don't know if they would pick around moldy hay or not.