New to goats!

Hi everyone! My name is Laura, and I'm here because I want to do some research about goats! I raise AMHA/AMHR miniature horses as well and will have two foals this year, so no stranger to farm and breeding! I'm just wondering a couple of things. I want to make sure I like raising goats and am able to care for them properly before I really get into it. Should I get one or two bred grade does to start with to see if I like it? Just so I don't spend a bunch of money on something and decide it's not for me. Any advice on goats in general is much appreciated!

Thanks so much everyone!

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Laura!

And welcome to the forum. 

Be sure to read the articles that Abby shared with you. Lots of great info there. 

I would advise to avoid getting pregnant goats to start out. There is MUCH information to be learned about caring for goats before biting off the potential complications of pregnancy and kidding. 

If I had it to do over again, I would have started with a couple of wethers. They are easy keeps with basic needs for nutrition and care in general, and a great place to start for learning about "normal" goat care without great initial investment. Also easy to place as pets if you decide goats are not for you. And if you do decide that goats are a great fit, they easily integrate into your growing herd as companions to does or bucks, which are best kept in seperate areas. 

By the time you are ready to move forward with more goats, you will be comfortable investing in quality stock from the start of your breeding program .

Tammy

• Thank you for the info! I will do some research!

• Your Welcome!

Be sure to check out thriftyhomesteader.com for LOTS and lots of great info 

~Tammy

• Hi Laura! Glad you've joined us. Check out these articles.

https://thriftyhomesteader.com/many-goats-start/
    https://thriftyhomesteader.com/choosing-a-goat-breed-for-your-farm/

How Many Goats to Start With?
    Baby goats are so cute, and you could easily get carried away and buy a lot but that’s probably not the best strategy.
This reply was deleted.