NDG-dog log

I have a three month old Nigerian dwarf goat that I've had for about a month and she has had dog log the whole time I've had her. She does not have a fever, her weight seems fine, although I've never had goats before to know that for sure, her eyelids are black, so it is difficult to tell, if they are red inside. I did try giving her safeguard in the quantity that Deborah's website recommended, but it didn't seem to help, if anything it's worse now.  Any suggestions? 

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oops- here is that link

https://thriftyhomesteader.com/preventing-coccidiosis/

Preventing Coccidiosis
    Coccidia are intestinal protozoa that can cause death in kids, as well as diarrhea and overall poor body condition
  • Hi Staci

Thanks for answering those questions.

You are most likely dealing with coccidiosis and under- nurishment. Those 2 things typically go hand in hand at this age. 
    I just weighed all my spring kids, which are also NDs. They are 8-10 weeks old and they ranged in weight from 21# to 27# and our weight goal is always 20# by 10-12 weeks. So 13# is really small. 

At what age was she weaned from milk?

What protein % is the grain you are feeding, and is it goat specific? And exactly how much per day is she getting?

I would also gradually get the grass hay switched over to alfalfa over a few days time. That has much more protein for growing kids  

The other thing to change is the mineral block. Those do not have nearly enough minerals in them. Switching to Purina Loose Goat mineral will give them more of what they need .

Lastly, she likely needs to be treated for coccidiosis. A veterinarian can help you with this.Coccidia cause damage to the intestinal lining and inhibit the amount of nutrition a goat can absorb, even if they are eating more than they need. Once she is treated for coccidiosis, you dan prevent her from getting it again by ensuring she is getting plenty of nutrition and also that the environment she is sleeping in and standing/laying in during the day is cleaned of goat poop.
    Here is more info on coccidiosis for you

I hope this helps!

Tammy 

At this point I would get her treated for coccidiosis

• Yep, that's what it was. Both goats had a large load so probably came from the place we got them. Thank you for the info. 

• Your Welcome! Hope they are better soon!

tammy

• Yep, that's what it was. Both goats had a large load so probably came from the place we got them. Thank you for the info. 

• You need to pull down her lower eyelid. It is normally dark pink or red inside, regardless of the skin color on the outside of the eyelid. 

What is her body condition like?

Can you post a photo?

Does she have a goat friend? 

What are you feeding her?

How much does she weigh? 

• Ok, i pulled down the eyelid and i would say it's dark pink. She does have a companion ndg. They eat Bermuda hay, some goat grain, and they chew frequently on the Purina minersl block which I put in there last week. They dont get much pasture time yet as we are still building fences.  Im not totally clear on how to check body condition. I can feel her ribs on her chest, but they dont stick out.  She weighs 13 lbs. 11003674855?profile=RESIZE_930x11003674671?profile=RESIZE_930x

This reply was deleted.