Hand milking cramps?

Hello!

I'm sure this is new to no one who hand milks. Any suggestions for improving hand cramping while hand milking nigerians? I've been at it almost a month. In some ways, things are getting better, coordination, endurance, etc. Overall milking time down. Thankfully only the one doe in milk so I'm sure I sound like a baby to you multiple goat milkers lol. Any suggestions on how to reduce/prevent the sharp pain and hand cramping while milking? Suspecting some possible carpal tunnel like symptoms are contributing. Haven't had these issues before but I don't have a desk job to really aggravate those nerves. Or maybe this is just something I will eventually toughen up and build up more strength. 

Any suggestions or experiences are much appreciated :)

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It is getting somewhat better. I've done a lot of what Julianne suggested but my current milker is not a fan of me taking longer ;) I do have the simple pulse ordered but still a month out on shipment. Next year there will be hopefully 6 girls in milk so we decided to invest. Just a pain (lol literally) in the mean time. Mostly my non-dominant hand at this stage. I can get about 1/3 of the left side done before I start having issues.

• Kylie

You will love your Simple Pulse!! 
      Cleaning will take much longer than milking with just 1 goat, but it sounds like it will be worth it considering your situation. When you have 6 to milk, you are REALLY going to appreciate it :)

I've been using mine for about 4 years now and  could not be more pleased with it. Feel free to reach out here with any questions  :)

Tammy

• Hi, I have serious arthritis in my joints as well as nerve damage from CTS. I still hand mik, but I use a modified method. I usually milk one side at a time to begin with, then when I warm up I can do short spurts using both hands. I take frequent quicks breaks as well. My does are used to it by now so it doesn't bother them.  I wouldn't suggest getting a "suction" milker though. I've tried several, they do a poor job and the does hate them. If you can afford a pulsating one (I can't) those are a lot better. But it's probably not worth it for one doe.  I guess my advice is to slow down, modify your technique and take breaks. Hope this helps!

• Thanks for adding your advice Julieanne!!

tammy

• Hi Kylie

Hopefully someone will hop on here with a better suggestion than mine which is strength comes with time.  Although after a month, I would think you would be starting to feel less discomfort in your hands. 
    Is it improving at all?

Tammy

This reply was deleted.