Goats and Thistles

Hello,

It has been a couple of years since I needed help or answers and I'm glad to pop back in now.

The short of my question is about reasonable expectations of goats controlling thistles.  My three ND wethers are 3 years ole and are currently in a large fenced area with some browse and grass and weeds and the get plenty of hay as well. There is an area in our fields, adjacent to their fenced in area that has become overun with Canada thistles and of course they are spreading. I am thinking about fencing in that and allowing the goats to come and go into it if it would make a difference in the thistle population next year. I'd cut all the tall vegetaion their this winter and then it would be new growth coming up in the spring.

Considering that it would be me doing the fencing work, and that fencing costs a good bit, I only want to undertake it if there is a reasonable hope that the goats would actually be interested and eat the thistles, in addition to their other browse.  Do you have thoughts about that?

Thanks so much,

Ann

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  Thanks, Tammy. I just read the transcript and see them talking about thistles in particular. There are some new rosettes growing in the field and I think I'll harvest some today and offer it and see what happens.

Thanks so much and I'll let you know how it goes, over time.

Warmly,
          Ann

• Hi there Ann!

So good to hear from you :)

So this could be hit or miss for you. If it is a completely new and foreign forage to them, they may avoid it completely or they may have great interest. Goats tend to stick to what they know if there is lots of that available to them, choosing the unfamiliar (or less appetizing) things after the 'good stuff' is gone. Here is an interview where Kim Cassidy talks about training goats to eat specific weeds. it's at the 18:07 mark  You can read or listen to the podcast. 
    I hope this helps!

tammy

https://thriftyhomesteader.com/healthy-weeds-and-poisonous-plants/

Healthy Weeds and Poisonous Plants
    We talk about the fact that many weeds can actually be very nutritious for goats while the number of plants poisonous to goats is actually pretty low.
    • Oops..I didin't see the 'reply' button on your post so my response is above yours.

• Please let us know how it goes :)

tammy

This reply was deleted.