Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

First Freshener FF Pre kidding udder development...due feb 19, Updated photos, now at 14 days to go.... at 23 days to go...countdown

50 more days to go. Yolanda is getting heavier and just starting to develop an udder. So exciting, this will be our first kidding. Black one is Yolanda, gold one is the buck. she isn't very big so i am guessing a single

Can't really see the udder starting to develop, but it is. looks like the teats may be a little to the outside as well.

Views: 1983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mine has a similar udder, however this is an older picture. Mine has a "little pouch" udder.

Unfortunately, Yolanda delivered several days early and lost twins. They were about 1 lb 8 oz each. I did decide to milk her and am doing it 3 times a day to try to get her started on a good lactation. I am keeping records of that and will post those in another thread every couple of weeks or so. So far she is increasing at each milking. I will put the new thread up next week after i have had several days to milk. Now i am looking for another doe/doeling to add this year.

I don't see a photo. Could you try to post it again, I would like to see it and also know how old she is in the photo
Melissa Johnson said:

Mine has a similar udder, however this is an older picture. Mine has a "little pouch" udder.

So sorry to hear she lost the kids. So disappointing especially after so many were following... 
Hopefully someone can chime in about possible causes. From my limited knowledge, trauma can cause abortions (someone butted her in the side?), mineral deficiencies too... especially selenium. 

I didn't get a pic. I tried to do a quick shave yesterday, but she was getting upset and had some dried blood on her rear so I didn't get much done. Did separate her though. She still has 3 weeks and I can't really see an udder, just teats and from the back the udder feels like a little soft pouch.

James Tinker said:

I don't see a photo. Could you try to post it again, I would like to see it and also know how old she is in the photo
Melissa Johnson said:

This doe will be 3 in March. FF

Melissa Johnson said:
I didn't get a pic. I tried to do a quick shave yesterday, but she was getting upset and had some dried blood on her rear so I didn't get much done. Did separate her though. She still has 3 weeks and I can't really see an udder, just teats and from the back the udder feels like a little soft pouch.

James Tinker said:

Melissa Johnson said:

Sorry she lost the kids. Lot of work for that to happen not to mention emotionally. Glad you are getting milk!

James Tinker said:

Unfortunately, Yolanda delivered several days early and lost twins. They were about 1 lb 8 oz each. I did decide to milk her and am doing it 3 times a day to try to get her started on a good lactation. I am keeping records of that and will post those in another thread every couple of weeks or so. So far she is increasing at each milking. I will put the new thread up next week after i have had several days to milk. Now i am looking for another doe/doeling to add this year.

Separating her three weeks ahead of time will likely be very stressful on her as they are herd animals. Also, if the area isn't big enough for her to get exercise, she could wind up gaining too much weight. I don't normally separate any sooner than a couple of days before kidding.

Melissa Johnson said:

Just out of curiosity why do most people separate expectant does before kidding? Is there a better attachment to the young? Is there another risk or benefit separating or not?

We leave them all together and the herd is like a family hovering around the new mom and babies. I find there is less fighting then the one time I separated them and reintroduced mom and babies to the herd. Maybe my goats are just strange :-/

Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:

Separating her three weeks ahead of time will likely be very stressful on her as they are herd animals. Also, if the area isn't big enough for her to get exercise, she could wind up gaining too much weight. I don't normally separate any sooner than a couple of days before kidding.

Melissa Johnson said:

On my doe that recently had a c-section I left her and the baby separate for about 8 days because I was worried they would head-butt her incision site. At first she wanted nothing to do with her kid and I had to hold her to let him nurse, but the few days alone seemed to help them bond without any distractions. Now that they are back with the herd everyone is doing great :) I didn't separate her before hand though until she was already in labor. All my other goats were lined up at the fence watching. 

I didn't separate her singling but without another doe. She had acces to a large area. It is her dam that is the problem. She is towering over everyone. I haven't separated her totally but just ate night with a buddy so she can eat in peace.

Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:

Melissa Johnson said:

It's usually a matter of personal preference and whatever works best for the humans. When we had a small herd, we left them all together, but we have so many goats now that they're in a much larger area, which means we would not have been able to add a video monitor. We added kidding pens mostly for our convenience. We have a video monitor above the kidding pens so that we can watch the does that we expect to kid soon. Rather than sitting in a freezing barn with a bunch of goats when someone is due, I can stay in my house going about my day or sleeping at night.

You never really know how the other goats will act when a doe is in labor. Usually they leave her alone, but we have seen a doe getting the snot beat out of her when there was a hoof sticking out of her back end!

Phebe said:

Just out of curiosity why do most people separate expectant does before kidding? Is there a better attachment to the young? Is there another risk or benefit separating or not?

We leave them all together and the herd is like a family hovering around the new mom and babies. I find there is less fighting then the one time I separated them and reintroduced mom and babies to the herd. Maybe my goats are just strange :-/

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2021   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service