hay

I'm running low on hay and what I can find right now for alfalfa is 4th

cutting which is really leafy.

Will that be OK for my goats?  I don't want them to bloat.

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We only get three cuttings here on average due to our shorter growing season.   The fields are heavily sprayed, including aerial spraying (unfortunately as it gives me asthma attacks) and thus have very few weeds.   None of the mega cow dairies nearby care about raising anything organically unfortunately.   We're with you!  Our goats definitely want the leafy stuff and we don't want the extra protein as our two horses eat all the leftover stems the goats leave.

Dianea Fay said:
    That is odd. Folks around here with Dairy cattle prefer 2nd or later cuttings as the first tends to have more weeds and less desirable stuff in it. Granted it may have more protien but they want the later cuttings. WE prefer 3rd, 4th, and 5th cuttings if possible. The leafer the better and later cuttings the  stems are not a thick , which helps cut down on wastage.
  • Friends in the cow dairy industry here say that the first cutting is higher in protein, so that's why they want it.    How much are you guys paying for alfalfa locally?   Depending the weight, the past couple of years we've paid from 4.50 to 11.00 per bale.   11.00 was a high two years ago as they were shipping alfalfa to California dairies for some reason and thus commanding top prices.

Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:
    Do you know why the cow dairies prefer first cutting? My only thought would be because it's cheaper. The beef guys around here seem to think everything except the cheapest is "too good" for cattle. Just wondering if dairy cattle people felt differently.

Julie Quilligan said:
    We usually feed third cutting, which is leafy.   Fortunately the local cow dairies prefer first cutting.   We haven't had any problems.
  • Do you know why the cow dairies prefer first cutting? My only thought would be because it's cheaper. The beef guys around here seem to think everything except the cheapest is "too good" for cattle. Just wondering if dairy cattle people felt differently.

Julie Quilligan said:
    We usually feed third cutting, which is leafy.   Fortunately the local cow dairies prefer first cutting.   We haven't had any problems.
  • Yes ~ I prefer the 3rd cutting too (which my goats and llama LOVE),  but all I can find right now is the 4th cutting which is super duper leafy.  I just was worried about "over doing it".

Thanks for your response!

• We usually feed third cutting, which is leafy.   Fortunately the local cow dairies prefer first cutting.   We haven't had any problems.
  • All of my goats (just a small herd of 6) are 9 months old....so no milkers yet, but yes, I think I'll go ahead and

get he 4th cutting.

Thanks so much for your response!

Betsy

• Fourth cutting alfalfa is wonderful. I wish I could find it more often for my milkers. It might be a bit much for bucks or wethers. Some people feed them grass hay for fear of urinary stones. If bucks or wethers or younger though, I think you could get away with it, because they're still growing so they're utilizing a lot more than a mature buck or wether.
This reply was deleted.