Geeze Lady get out of my udder! Pregnancy 360

My ND is about a year old give or take a month or two. We are empty nesters and I needed a " baby" life hack... Get a goat! We started with Oggie. Oggie got bored of the the dogs keeping him company when I went to work. So we bought him a girl friend. I'm not to new at goats as we always had a mini farm growing up but I have never seen one birthed. Fast forward, over several months ago I seen Oggie (ND buck) and Saphie (ND doe) breed. Luckily I had the sense to write it down. I hadn't seen them breed since October of last year, the 15th. So with the records I have she came into heat every 15 days. I have no clue how far along she is but with my calculations and ND calendar she should be due today or may 7th. She's never had a discharge, but she's itching like crazy, no mites or fleas, just rubbing across the barn walls and gats. For a week straight I didn't feel any ligaments. (Pretty good at finding them) Her tail started to slack her utters got bigger by the day, I've seen her do the hind end hunch over( I'm guessing false labor because it only happened twice). Oggie who had not been interested in her is now on occasion wanting to rut. She's went from my sweet baby girl to get the heck away from me and skittish of everything. Today is a 360 day. Today it's stop taking pictures of my udder. Ligaments are hard tails back up. Has bigger teets and are pink and not dark and small, a lot lot bigger. She's not hunching or breathing hard. Her vulva is twice the size it was a week ago. I just can't figure her out. It's like one day she has all the signs and the next she has some signs but not others. She's never had a discharge that I have seen. Here are some pictures with dates including her first day on the farm. p.S. she gets, alfalfa, sweet feed, oats and choice hay with 2 acres of grass. 12434089298?profile=RESIZE_710x12434089283?profile=RESIZE_710x12434089298?profile=RESIZE_710x12434089283?profile=RESIZE_584x12434091855?profile=RESIZE_710x12434088697?profile=RESIZE_710x

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Goats come into heat every 21 days +/- a couple of days, so if she was in heat every 15 days, she was short cycling, which means she would have been unlikely to get pregnant, and if she did, some of those heats you saw were false heats, meaning she was not actually ovulating. She obviously did not get pregnant Oct. 15 because she would have kidded last month. If she's living with a buck, you really have no idea when she got pregnant. If you're worried that she hasn't kidded yet, I wouldn't be. Nothing you've said sounds worrisome.

Ligaments don't come and go, and they don't go until the goat is within 24 hours of giving birth. Most people online don't know what the ligaments are. They normally feel like pencils that connect the spine to the pin bones, so when people talk about ligaments softening up enough that they can wrap their fingers around the tail head, that's not ligaments because there are not ligaments there. They are just feeling the muscles soften, and that doesn't tell you anything about when the doe is going to go into labor. Those muscles can soften a couple of weeks ahead of time or not until a few days before birth. The ligaments turn from pencils to rubber bands before they disappear. Our free course on Preparing for Kidding Season shows you how to find the ligaments:

https://thriftyhomesteader.teachable.com/p/kidding-season

The udder is not very impressive, so I wouldn't expect her to kid very soon. She could, but her udder really needs to get a lot bigger. If she doesn't come from good milking lines though, she might not be a great producer. 

An all-stock sweet feed is not good for goats. It's basically candy. She needs a 16% protein goat feed when she's in milk -- 1# for every 3# of milk produced -- as well as alfalfa hay and pasture. 

Preparing for Kidding Season
    Getting Started With Goat Birthing
  • 12434102088?profile=RESIZE_930x12434102270?profile=RESIZE_930x@Ps.s. she is a FF. 

• @Ps.s. she is a FF. 

• Ps.s. she is a FF. 

• 12434092862?profile=RESIZE_930x12434093273?profile=RESIZE_930x12434084892?profile=RESIZE_930x

This reply was deleted.