Lime

I've recently had a friend from Georgia tell me that she has seperated her pasture off, so she can lime parts of it to kill parasites. I have never heard of this and didn't think you could put anything down to kill them. Anybody heard of this?

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There are several discussions on here about parasite control. For the latest research on this, check out
    www.wormcontrol.org
    Basic parasite control rotations, however, is to NOT leave them on pasture for more than 21 days and leave them off for at least a month. Moving them more often (even every day) is better, and keeping them off a pasture even longer (six weeks, two months, three months) is even better for parasite control, because it breaks their life cycle.

If you use a chemical dewormer on your does after kidding (standard practice), the milk is not fit for human consumption for at least a week. Many dewormers, however, have not been tested, so no one knows how long they stay in the milk. To be safe, we don't use their milk for three weeks after using a chemical dewormer.

If you are new to goats, I would recommend dam raising your first kids. If you've never milked a goat before, you might not be able to do a very good job of it, and if you aren't getting all the milk out, the doe's supply will go down. It takes most people at least a couple weeks to get remotely decent at milking, and by then she could be almost completely dried up. I've also heard plenty of stories about kids on milk replacer getting diarrhea. Kids really need the antibodies in the milk, at least for a few weeks. You'll find lots of info on dam-raising and milking in threads on weaning in the forum. If a mom has twins, we usually start separating mom and babies overnight at two weeks and milk in the morning. If she has a single, we start milking her morning and night at day 2, because a single doesn't demand a lot, and he/she gets fat. If you're milking from the beginning, she'll have a better supply. Then at a week or two, depending on how fast the kid is growing, we start separating overnight. If she has triplets, we start separating overnight based on how fast the kids are growing.

Sue Stovall said:
    I have a few questions that this touches on. I too and in the south east and have pastures that need lots of lime. I did not know the added benefit of parasite control.
    How often do people generally rotate their pastures? I am trying to manage parasites without dewormer but am feeling nervous with my first 2 about to kid. I do check their eyes and everyone is looking good and healthy but I know that kidding puts extra stress on the doe.
    Should I just deworm them now or immediately afterwards? I plan to bottle feed the kids on replacer and use the raw milk for cheese. Any concerns here?

Any advice for this novice on how to keep as natural as possible?
    Thanks!
  • I have a few questions that this touches on. I too and in the south east and have pastures that need lots of lime. I did not know the added benefit of parasite control.
    How often do people generally rotate their pastures? I am trying to manage parasites without dewormer but am feeling nervous with my first 2 about to kid. I do check their eyes and everyone is looking good and healthy but I know that kidding puts extra stress on the doe.
    Should I just deworm them now or immediately afterwards? I plan to bottle feed the kids on replacer and use the raw milk for cheese. Any concerns here?

Any advice for this novice on how to keep as natural as possible?
    Thanks!
  • Never heard of it, but did a quick Google search, and there are a few sites that claim it will help with parasites by dehydrating them. Considering how tiny parasites are, however, I'm not sure if you could get the lime spread finely enough over enough grass to really kill that much larvae. There can be thousands of eggs on a single blade of grass. And too much lime wouldn't be good for your pasture.

Anyone else heard of this?
This reply was deleted.