Ligaments Gone for 23 hours

Should I worry or have a vet come out. My 2nd freshner lost her ligaments yesterday around 9-10am in the morning I checked frequently and they are still gone, she was also leaking colostrum... Even tho I am slightly new to this and this is my second year kidding I have become quiet good at finding ligaments so I know for sure they are gone but I think I can still feel a kid moving around(do they actually stop movement 12 hours before labor)... I thought I saw her having contractions yesterday if they are her lady parts squinting and sucking in and saw my other pregnant doe as well do the same thing ... How accurate is the "lost ligaments" and going into labor within 24 hours... she has not "lost her plug" that I saw.. last year she had everything within hours and I'm worried why its taking so long.. She has every typical sign that labor is around the corner . my other doe FF still has her ligaments but are very soft. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Congratulations! What cute kids! Love those does that make it look so easy.

• Hooray for you! Congratulations!

• Laid down* her belly never dropped she never had mucus but her ligaments were gone for 25 hours .. I'll post pics .. got 2 beautiful baby girls born in 15 mins between pushing and kidding it took 25 min
  • Nevermind she just later down about 5 min ago and is pushing
  • Here is a picture of a doe whose belly had dropped, which usually happens before they go into labor:

http://nigeriandwarfgoats.ning.com/photo/lizzie-hollow?context=user

(More info in comments under photo)

Here is a picture of what I meant when I said she'd be pushing her leg way out with her ears back:

http://nigeriandwarfgoats.ning.com/photo/annie-pushing-1?context=user

As I said, ligaments are way over-rated, and if you believe that she should go into labor within 24 hours of when you can no longer feel them, that is not going to make you feel any better if you're convinced that they're gone. 

I look at a combination of ligaments, udder, and belly looking hollow, as well as how the goat is acting. Even if they're not screaming, it's obvious when they're pushing. 

If by "dug in her back area," you mean that you did a vaginal check, that is really not recommended unless it's obvious that the doe is in distress, and then I don't really recommend it unless you are on the phone with your vet or a very knowledgeable goat mentor who can talk you through it. You can cause an infection or tear the cervix or uterus, any of which can results in death.

I understand your excitement about her giving birth, but you haven't said anything that sounds worrisome. If, however, you are concerned, I would suggest calling your vet. Most are happy to talk to you on the phone.

• for my piece of mind lets just say ligaments are gone what is the actual time frame of a goat kidding 12, 24 or who knows hours?

• she also gave birth standing up last time she never laid down once

• her first time last year she was quiet no screaming or anything you would of never known she was in labor ... Felt all around her tail area for ligaments .. she is up and down cant make up her mind she lays down and then just gets back up then paws for a little lays down and then gets back up

• A goat in labor is getting up, laying down repeatedly, as in every minute or two; or she's screaming with her ears laid back; or she's laying down and pushing her hind legs WAY out; or she's nesting. What you've described are not signs of labor. They're just signs she's getting close, which could be a few hours or a few days.

What do you mean you've "dug in her back area?"

This reply was deleted.