BUTTER!

No one ever talks about making goat butter! I want to make butter. Does it work? Why does No One ever talk about making this delicious, yummy stuff? I want butter with garlic and herbs in it spread on fresh hot toast! YUMMY!

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just checked the butter in my fridge (basic stuff from the grocery store) and it does have colour added. 

• http://www.dairygoodness.ca/butter/butter-facts-fallacies Down at the bottom of this page is some information that seems to match with the uniformity and labeling req.

• Thank you for this thread, not only for the butter info but for the childhood memories it brings forward.  Remembering sitting in my grandmother's kitchen "squishing" the margarine packet to color it yellow is a good memory as I felt quite honored to be allowed to do it at so young an age.  After reading Deborah's post, I went to Wikipedia for margarine where they, of course, mentioned it was originally called oleomargarine.  It was then I remembered my grandmother referred to it as oleo when asking if anyone wanted any.  Such a sweet memory not expected from a discussion about butter. :-)

(Love that cows eating marigolds turns the butter yellow - guess that is the same farm on which brown cows give chocolate milk.)

• I googled it, and the info varies wildly from what Glenna and I said to someone saying that butter turns yellow when cows eat marigolds or butter has been yellow since the 1300s when they started using marigolds for coloring! Huh??? And I did find verification that Jerseys do tend to have more yellow butter than Holsteins, which I thought I had heard before and was why I mentioned it. Anyway, I am wondering if the factory farm cows that are kept inside all the time have lower beta carotene and therefore paler butter -- you know, like the factory farm hens with their very pale yolks? I got bogged down on the FDA website for a bit trying to find out if butter has some exemption for having to label added color, but haven't found anything yet. I did find the USDA Standards for Butter, but a quick scan didn't say anything about labeling if color is added, although it said butter may or may not have color and salt added. They definitely have it on the label if salt is added.

Rachel Whetzel said:

I think that there CAN be color added to industrial butters/cheeses to maintain uniformity in product appearance... but I can't remember where I heard that.

• I think that there CAN be color added to industrial butters/cheeses to maintain uniformity in product appearance... but I can't remember where I heard that.

• Guess I better stop feeding carrots to my goats or no one will believe its their butter if I ever get there to make butter. <g>

(Seriously, Deborah, thank you for the replay, good info to know if I'm ever asked.)

• Sometimes people just say things because they assume it's true. For cow milk, I've only ever used Jersey milk from pastured cows for making butter, and it turns a bright yellow when it turns into butter! If color is added to any food, it has to be stated on the label, so maybe there is some butter in her area that does that -- or maybe she's just assuming the stuff in the store is colored. Goat milk is lower in beta carotene, which is why the butter is white -- and why the milk and cheese are also whiter than cow milk and cow cheese.

• Something I have always wondered about - can whole milk be used when making butter?  Of course, you would get the same amount of butter with a lot more buttermilk, but if it can be then maybe we can all make goat butter.  I never tried it as I don't care for buttermilk and don't want more than necessary.

Does anyone know?

• It was interesting she said that store butter is yellow because color is added.  It may be now but has not been the case in the past.  In fact, it is margarine that has color added. In the 1950s (and maybe earlier as well), you could only buy uncolored margarine.  The Dairy Council was strong enough that margarine could only be sold uncolored so as not to be confused with butter and take away sales.  I can remember as a little girl working the margarine package to incorporate the color into it - it was sold in on-pound packages and white as it was produced but with a yellow color capsule in it that could be broken with massage incorporating into the margarine so it was yellow.  People said margarine is only shortening with yellow food coloring.<g>

I cannot speak to goat butter (obviously hers is white), but all the cow butter I have made has been yellow with the shade varying dependent on the cow but never white.  Butter from raw milk I have bought through our local grocery has been very light yellow, not the deep yellow our family cow produced.  However, our cow's milk was 1/3 or more cream so she may have been exceptional - her butter was definitely yellow.

• Yes, please, I would love to know if that works. It is definitely an interesting idea.                  1

This reply was deleted.