Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

DOE UPDATE...and to whether or not to whether?

Both does have come into heat and been bread. Now we are waiting to see if they come back into heat in 5-7 days. If so they will breed again. Looks like we will be having kids at the end of January!

I just finished 7 days in a row at work. I feel like it just whirled by. Sam is getting friendlier.. which is good. I could be wrong but it seems like he waits to get petted after Stanley, who always runs up first.

When I bought these boys I did not distinguish between registries, I thought registered is registered, so when I bought my does, it became apparent that this was not the case, which is why they are at my mentors house being bread to one of her bucks who has the same registrations.

So I thought, no big deal, we can just whether them, and we will have a couple of companions. David on the other hand would rather sell them and try to get the $200( for the pair) back that we paid for them, then buy a cheaper whether before the new buck comes early next year. I see where he's coming from, but at the same time, I like them, and wouldn't mind keeping them as whethers. If you were in this position, what would you do?

Views: 22


You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Comment by Deborah Niemann-Boehle on September 12, 2010 at 4:16pm
Yeah, I know how men are. My husband and I have a deal -- he disbuds, I castrate. Took me about five years to get him to hold a kid while I castrated it, but we're making progress. :)
Comment by Adrienne on September 12, 2010 at 12:18pm
Thanks Deborah, I am so glad for all the help I have gotten from this forum. I am pretty sure we will just keep them, David has said they can stay if they stay as bucks... You know how men are? we may eventually sell them or weather them so they can be a companion for someone who only wants one doe...or something....once David gets over it...if he ever does...
Comment by Deborah Niemann-Boehle on September 11, 2010 at 8:05am
If you only paid $200 for both of them, I'm going to assume they're not great quality and don't have any great genetics behind them, so you would have a hard time selling them as bucks, especially since they're only NDGA registered. I sell my wethers for $75, and I know some herds sell them for $100 or $150 each, so basically you've paid wether prices for them already. If you take them to a sale barn, you could get as little as $30 for each of them as bucks or wethers. Buyers at the sale barn are looking for a bargain, and sellers are often just trying to get rid of a problem. Selling bucks is tough. People just don't need that many bucks.

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2021   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service