Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

I'm looking for advice on getting my la mancha does pregnant with a ND buck. I'll try just about anything at this point, since one of my girls will be three next summer and (if she gets pregnant) will be a first freshener. Her sister milked 15 months as a first freshener. Last winter, she spent three months in a pen with a Nigerian, and she didn't get pregnant. She's very quiet when she's in heat, so I haven't been able to catch her. She's not that big, so I don't understand why he didn't manage to get the job done. I'm wondering if I should try lutalyse.

Views: 200

Replies to This Discussion

I'm just speaking from my logic here, not as a mini-breeder. Did you get other kids from that same ND buck last year? Did you try different bucks? Was it a junior? What minerals are you feeding - chelated? Last year's heats were crazy all over the country, as I've been told. This year's heats here are much stronger and easier to detect. I'd try a different buck, make sure chelated copper is available for both animals, and make sure there's some sort of toy or ramp for the "little guy." I know several farms last year who hardly got anyone settled because of the strange heat cycles. Hope that helps a little. Pat
It wasn't a problem with the buck. I had several does in the same pen, and they all got pregnant. I use Sweetlix minerals and also do copper boluses. This year, I'm doing BoSe also, 1.5 cc for the la mancha girls and 1 cc for the NDs. Trying a couple different bucks is a good idea. If I can't catch her in heat, I'll leave her with a buck for a month, take her out for a month, then put her with another buck for a month. After seeing what a great milker her sister is, I can't wait to have her freshen!
Deborah

Patricia Stewart said:
I'm just speaking from my logic here, not as a mini-breeder. Did you get other kids from that same ND buck last year? Did you try different bucks? Was it a junior? What minerals are you feeding - chelated? Last year's heats were crazy all over the country, as I've been told. This year's heats here are much stronger and easier to detect. I'd try a different buck, make sure chelated copper is available for both animals, and make sure there's some sort of toy or ramp for the "little guy." I know several farms last year who hardly got anyone settled because of the strange heat cycles. Hope that helps a little. Pat
We were actually giving too much copper to our animals last year. That's why we switched to using chelated minerals, plus Sweet-Lix, but didn't copper bolus most of the animals. There is one line we have to bolus, but the others are doing fine with what we've been doing. Good luck with your project. My guess is that it was just a really weird year. Who knows what's next? :)

Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:
It wasn't a problem with the buck. I had several does in the same pen, and they all got pregnant. I use Sweetlix minerals and also do copper boluses. This year, I'm doing BoSe also, 1.5 cc for the la mancha girls and 1 cc for the NDs. Trying a couple different bucks is a good idea. If I can't catch her in heat, I'll leave her with a buck for a month, take her out for a month, then put her with another buck for a month. After seeing what a great milker her sister is, I can't wait to have her freshen!
Deborah

Patricia Stewart said:
What minerals are you feeding - chelated? Last year's heats were crazy all over the country, as I've been told. This year's heats here are much stronger and easier to detect. I'd try a different buck, make sure chelated copper is available for both animals,
What chelated copper/mineral do you use? I'd like to find a form of copper that is not the bolus' and see if it works. Mine aren't very deficient as far as I can tell but would like to have something to offer in front of them along with their other goat formulated minerals. (Can't think of the name at the moment.)

Thanks~!

RSS

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2021   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service