Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

My frustration level is highly elevated.  I started yogurt last night.  Always before, I have pasteurized the milk before I made it but did not this time.  I am have some very extensive dental surgery on Wednesday and I will be taking antibiotics.  I figured I would get a step ahead of my good bacteria being wiped out and start eating live yogurt ahead of time.  To maximize the bacteria, I decided to use raw milk.  The milk was from the same day and the evening before so it was also fresh.

It did not set though it did have "clumps" of yogurt at the bottom of some of the jars.  I decided to put it through again so mixed all the jars together, mixed it well thinking perhaps the culture had not gotten evenly distributed.  The idea was the since we are supposed to be able to use yogurt itself as a starter that would work.  Well, it didn't!  The starter is fresh and worked just fine in the cream cheese I had made last evening as well.

What are your thoughts on what happened that the yogurt didn't set?  I even used a different machine the second time in case it was a machine issue.

Views: 69

Replies to This Discussion

It's because you used raw milk. Yogurt is thicker if you pasteurize, and it's even thicker if you get it up to 170-180 degrees before reducing to 120 degrees and adding the culture. The yogurt is fine to eat. It is just not what we're used to. We played with raw milk yogurt for about a year before we decided to always heat to 170-180.

Thank you, Deborah. I was reasonably sure that is what it was since starter from the tri-pack went to the cream cheese which turned out beautifully.  Because I incubated it twice, it is quite tart!  If I had thought that through, I would not have re-incubated it - of course now I know that it didn't help.  I also learned last night making a chocolate milkshake with tart yogurt (or probably *any* yogurt) was *not* my best idea!  Fortunately, I used only a few tablespoons of each and didn't fill the blender.<g>

Now I have another question.  I pasteurized two gallons of milk for cheddar and put it in the patio fridge which is colder than my house fridge.  Two days later, I was going to start my cheddar and the milk was partially frozen!  There went my cheddar.  Do you think the milk will work for mozzarella or should I plan for ricotta and ice cream?

We used frozen milk to make mozzarella once, and the texture wasn't as good as when using fresh milk, but it worked.

RSS

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2021   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service