Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

I made mozzarella cheese yesterday, and used it on homemade pizza today.  It was absolutely wonderful!  I used Deborah's recipe from Raising Goats Naturally, except I added a little salt at the end.

I do have a question about how it went though.  I did the stove top method, heating the whey to 140 degrees and then letting it rest 5 mn.  When I scooped it out of the whey,  I squeezed out the whey, and very quickly, what seemed much too fast, it was very stretchy and beginning to get too firm, like I'd over worked it, though I hadn't..  I added the salt as quickly as I could, but it was already becoming too firm and dry to shape.  I had to roughly make it into a ball.  It was very nearly a perfect cheese in the end, but I'm wondering what could have made it happen so fast?  It wasn't like other fresh mozzarella's I've seen, but much more like the aged type you can buy.  I loved it, and if it turned out like this every time I'd be happy.  Was this the way it was supposed to be?  Reminded me more of string cheese.

Views: 176

Replies to This Discussion

Here are a couple pics.  The almost 1 pound of mozzarella was enough to cover 2 pizzas.  One margarita pizza, with olive oil with garlic steeped in it, fresh tomatoes and basil, and mozzarella, and one sausage pizza with homemade sausage from homegrown pork.  YUMMY! :)

Looks delicious! I tried making it ONCE and failed so miserably I haven't attempted again. Hoping I have enough milk this summer to be able to waste some if it doesn't turn out and try again!

Yeah, it lends new meaning to the phrase "Don't cry over spilled milk" when it's this much work to get!  :)  I'm wishing you enough milk to take a milk bath, if you wanted to. :)

Looks beautiful! And sounds like it worked well! Next time you can add the salt as soon as you put the curds into a bowl before starting to stretch. 

Oh!  That's great. :)  I'm glad it sound like it went fine and turned out right.  I loved the cheese, and I'm thrilled to get such a great mozzarella so easily.  I'm curious though about how I might get that fresh mozzarella that comes as little balls or rolls, and is much softer.  The kind I might make a caprice salad with? 

If you just want little balls, you only need to break it and shape it into little balls after stretching and before cooling. To get a softer cheese, reduce your rennet by one drop each time you make it until you've reached the consistency you prefer.

Patty Meyer said:

Oh!  That's great. :)  I'm glad it sound like it went fine and turned out right.  I loved the cheese, and I'm thrilled to get such a great mozzarella so easily.  I'm curious though about how I might get that fresh mozzarella that comes as little balls or rolls, and is much softer.  The kind I might make a caprice salad with? 

Great, thanks!  This is so much fun. :)

RSS

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2021   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service