One day milk test? So confusing!

Help!  I can't seem to find basic information about HOW to find where you can get in on a one-day milk testing.  I see lots of rules and regs on the ADG site, but I really just want to know WHERE to go or who I need to talk to.  Does anyone out there do DHI testing?  

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, owner-sampler is eligible for milk stars. About the only thing you're not eligible for is Top Ten status, but very few of us have to worry about that.

Depending on which registry your goats are registered with, you would contact that registry for more info.

Phebe said:

Is owner sampler eligible for milk stars?
    I'm considering hiring a tester to come to my farm too. Any info on where to start would be great.
  • Is owner sampler eligible for milk stars?
    I'm considering hiring a tester to come to my farm too. Any info on where to start would be great.
  • Thanks so much for the clarification and information!  I will see about a show in my area.

Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:

We do both DHI and sometimes one-day milk tests. They are not the same thing. DHI is 305-day testing. If you want to do a one-day test, they are usually held in conjunction with shows, so you would have to take your goat there for 24 hours. If you look at the show list, you can contact the show coordinators and ask if they'll be doing a milk test. You can do a one-day test on your farm, but it's a lot of work because you have to organize the whole thing yourself, find a tester, get a certified scale, make arrangements with a lab for testing, etc. We do them because we're already on DHI, so it's not really any extra work for us, other than a couple of extra forms to fill out.

• We do both DHI and sometimes one-day milk tests. They are not the same thing. DHI is 305-day testing. If you want to do a one-day test, they are usually held in conjunction with shows, so you would have to take your goat there for 24 hours. If you look at the show list, you can contact the show coordinators and ask if they'll be doing a milk test. You can do a one-day test on your farm, but it's a lot of work because you have to organize the whole thing yourself, find a tester, get a certified scale, make arrangements with a lab for testing, etc. We do them because we're already on DHI, so it's not really any extra work for us, other than a couple of extra forms to fill out.

This reply was deleted.