Need Advice:Transporting 4 does

We are relocating from Northern CA to Western Massachusetts and are taking our 4 does.  I need some advice on how to transport them.  Is a live stock trailer necessary?  We have a pick up with a 7 ft bed, if we add a cab and keep the windows open (goats inside in 4 large dog crates) will the goats be OK?  Or is this not a good idea?  4 large dog crates fit fine physically in the back of the trailer, but I am unsure if the airflow will be OK or if there are other reasons this may not be a good idea.

I know we need a health certificate for each goat, and I read on earlier discussion that I need to check on hay going across the states, and I know we need lots of water.  What else to I need to have or to consider? This is the first time we've undertaken anything like this, so any suggestions of advice would be most appreciated.

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you so much for everyone's excellent suggestions!  Husband is working on setting up some fencing with a gate within the tailgate:-)  And many thanks for the good wishes for our upcoming journey.  We are excited, although the "To Do" list of stuff to get done before our departure in 10 days is long!  All 4 of our does are mellow and used to being on leash (we take them for walks regularly), so although they will be more amped up during the travel we think we can manage it with the fence/gate inside the tailgate and husband/daughter/me at the ready during our brake stops.

• My suggestion as well.  Something that opens with a smaller door, so you can easier block it while caring for everyone if you have to.  Best wishes on your big move. :)
    Rachel Whetzel at MigMog Acres said:

You could probably make a "gate" inside the tailgate with fencing to help keep anyone from escaping when the tailgate is down. 

• You could probably make a "gate" inside the tailgate with fencing to help keep anyone from escaping when the tailgate is down. 

• Thanks for the reply.  I see your point, they'll do better with some freedom to move around.  So, no dog crates, just the camper shell.

Do you recommend any vitamins or probiotics to help them with the journey?

• Assuming your does are not flighty, you can just put them in the back of the pickup truck with a cap on the back. My only concern would be a doe escaping when you open it because you open the entire tailgate at once, which provides a really large area for one (or more) to run out. I've had goats in crates for as far as Massachusetts to Illinois, and that worked, but in a distance as far as you're traveling, I'd want to give them room to move around more.

I'm not sure what you mean about checking hay. We used to travel across state lines to show goats, and I've never heard anyone say anything about hay.

This reply was deleted.