Moveable Pens and Permanent Pens

Hi again,

If I am going to use the moveable pens for daytime foraging for 4 ND's wethers when the weather is good, do you have recommendations for how large I would want the permanent pen area that would be attached to the barn, where they would have free access to and from the barn whenever not in the moveable pens?  I'd be bringing them back to that area overnight.

Also, would I want their free choice minerals in the moveable pens if they are there most of the day, in addition to having the minerals and hay at the barn?

Thank you.

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you, Tammy :)

Tammy Gallagher said:

Hi there Ann

I have a predator proof completely enclosed permanent pen attached to my doe barn. I house 4-8 does in the barn at night, depending on whether or not they have kids with them. The pen area is 8 x 16 and they can go back and forth between the barn and the pen. Typically they choose to just stay in the barn all night, but during the hottest part of the summer, some of them choose to sleep out in the pen area. The size of your area will depend on how much time you think they will spend there. If it is just an extension of your barn during night time hours and the occasional inclement weather day, I wouldn't worry about fencing off a huge area. Minerals should be available to them free choice 24/7, so I would place them in any area that they are spending a large amount of time.

• Hi there Ann

I have a predator proof completely enclosed permanent pen attached to my doe barn. I house 4-8 does in the barn at night, depending on whether or not they have kids with them. The pen area is 8 x 16 and they can go back and forth between the barn and the pen. Typically they choose to just stay in the barn all night, but during the hottest part of the summer, some of them choose to sleep out in the pen area. The size of your area will depend on how much time you think they will spend there. If it is just an extension of your barn during night time hours and the occasional inclement weather day, I wouldn't worry about fencing off a huge area. Minerals should be available to them free choice 24/7, so I would place them in any area that they are spending a large amount of time.

This reply was deleted.