Lice

I have a doe with very bad lice. Can I bathe her in flea and tick shampoo? Active ingredients are Piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins

Shaving is not an option--I can go get Ivomec tomorrow but everything is closed today.

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I meant to special order d.e. from Modesto Milling when I ordered my grain ingredients, but I forgot. I grabbed a bag at tractor supply that is omri certified (Red Lake Earth brand) to have on hand in case of an external parasite emergency and I'm glad that I did... But when I opened it up I was shocked to find that it is gray rather than white. I checked the label and saw in the small print that it is a calcium bentonite and diatomaceous earth blend for adding to the feed; I figured that if they can eat the calcium bentonite, surely they can have it on their skin and went ahead and used it (especially considering how badly the one doe was infested and spreading lice to the rest).
  • Thank you for taking the time to update. I try to search the threads on the forum when I want to learn something new. It is such a help. Where did you buy your D.E.? And the brand is?
  • I wanted to update this thread for anyone who has interest in the future...
    I rubbed diatomaceous earth on each goat yesterday morning. I used the panty hose, which is brilliant, and coated them well - especially along the topline - and I did an extra heavy dusting on the infested doe. I checked them all this morning and found one single live louse, among hundreds of dead ones, on the doe who was infested. Although there were many, many dead lice on her topline, there were far fewer than there had been alive on her yesterday morning - I assume they fell off as they died and only those caught in her winter undercoat were left for me to see.

Just wanted to post a follow up about how well the d.e. worked!
  • I just found lice all over one of my new nigerian does (she is one of 2 Nigerians we got from the same woman, our 3 mini nubians came from a different breeder) her herd mate doesn't seem to have many if any. I'm going to use diatomaceous earth all over her and on my others as a precaution to prevent it from spreading. Julia, the panty hose idea is brilliant... Thanks for sharing!! I think I may clip her as well, although she may be chilly at night (still in the upper 40's to mid 50's at night)? This doe also has "off" flavored milk at almost one month into her first freshening. I've already seriously considering getting rid of her, to be honest, but I'm sure I should give her some time to prove herself and grow on me.
  • If it is warm enough where you are, you can just clip the goat as you would for a show. (Size 10 blade on dog clippers) Without hair, the lice fall off the goat and die.
  • Thank you! I know when I've had an issue about anything before ive been told to check the forum so thats what I did. Thanks for responding! Im going bbigail try this.
  • Tammy, I don't think you'll get a reply from that old post from 2 years ago (lol) but I thought I'd help out with an answer. You can put the DE into the foot of a panty hose or thin socks and tie it off, then just rub it on the goats wherever you need to. It doesn't cloud them with dust that way (or you). The danger with DE is inhaling it so you want to keep the dust down. Other than that it is harmless to them and you. They can lick it and it will not hurt them at all. So yes, you can milk with no worries. Keep in mind that it can dry their skin though so watch for that-- probably only if used long term because mine never got dry skin from using it. 

• Hi Claudette,

Do you know if it is safe to use Diatomatious Earth when you are milking and drinking the milk from this goat?

And how exactly do you apply? Do you have to get it everywhere on the goat. I have seen them in the area above and behind the "arm pit", or elbow. They are brown and long and seem to be mostly on the hair shaft.

Claudette E Griffith said:

what about trying Diatomatious Earth? Use it was a powder/dust. It cuts thru the insects shells and they dehydrated and die... keeps ticks under control as well. I use it on my chickens, works great!

• what about trying Diatomatious Earth? Use it was a powder/dust. It cuts thru the insects shells and they dehydrated and die... keeps ticks under control as well. I use it on my chickens, works great!

• I gave her ivermectin horse paste.  I've used it before with good results.  I did triple their bodyweight-

I have been milking her since I've had her.  She has just a tiny amount in there, so I figured it wouldn't be too much of a strain on her body to make it.  She kidded about two weeks ago and the seller said they would milk her for me in the interim but it sounds like they didn't really do it every day.

Anyway, the somewhat good news is that last night was the first night I had to stop giving her food even though she watned more.  Before now her apetite was in the dumps, too and I was like begging her to please eat some grain.  Also she was chowing on the hay when I left last night and night before last she just laid down next to the hay and went to sleep.  So I am crossing my fingers that since we knocked back all the bugs she is feeling better.

Last night we did the eprinex pour on- we did it to all three females since the other two have been in close quarters with this one we figured better do them now so the bugs never take hold.  I did not do the boys but they are across the farm and do not share a fenceline with the girls.  I don't know how far these little critters can travel.  I have plenty more eprinex if you think I should do the boys, too.

The seller did apologize for not noticing the goat had lice-- hubby is like I can't believe you paid for this goat.  Next to our goats who are sleek and shiny it is profound. In seller's defense I couldn't tell how thin she was until I petted her because her hair is kind of long and somewhat hides the bones.  Then of course my rescue syndrome kicked in and I had to take her because she looked so pitiful and I wanted to help her.  at any rate, I am not sorry I did it.  She is the twin sister to my other doe who has turned out to be an EXCELLENT milker.  According to seller this goat is great too, which if I believe will be true next year, so...

If you could have seen her little face when we were bathing her in the stock tank.  She was gazing up at my husband like "thank you, mister!"  Didn't realize goats could be grateful, but I am telling you...  (sorry for the rambling)

This reply was deleted.