Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

Today was my first attempt at milking after seperating momma and babies last night for about 9 hrs. The kids are 5 weeks today. I only got a couple tablespoons. Now I'm worried I will do more harm than good by not letting kids nurse all night and getting such a small amount. She was dont eating and ready to get off the stand! Can this hurt her from not relieving her of enough milk??? Or will the kids make up for not eating all night? 

Views: 825

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tried the extra alfalfa pellets and she eventually has enough of those and quits eating it. Today my husband ( it would be impossible without his help at this point!) started feeding her sunflower seeds one at a time and I was able to get 4 ounces! I'm thrilled with that at this point :) She seemed like she liked the extra attention of him doing that. If she just didn't gobble up her food so fast!

Woo hoo!!! That's great! I'm glad you have such a patient doe -- or at least one that is easily bribed! You'll get faster with practice!

About that gobbling it up. I have a question. I can't remember off hand, in fact it may have been your farm Deborah, but a while back I was reading on a site and saw pics of these little does standing around eating at there own seperate dishes and read some interesting points about individual feeding in relation to patience etc. especially in relationto the milk stand. This is probably the same farm where they do not feed on the milk stand. What do you guys think about this. I would appreciate your opinions. Oh and congrats that is super great, enough for coffee! I like lots in mine!

Wasn't my blog. You read on someone's site that they don't feed their does on the milk stand? That's interesting.

Do you think being bottle fed makes a difference with their patience? (making them worse) I haven't owned goats that weren't bottle fed except for the kids I have now. I've noticed if momma doesn't want to feed them when they want she simply walks away. And they have to wait. They get to eat more often on momma too. Just a thought.

Not necessarily. Most goats don't stand there very long after the first few days, so if there is a difference, I don't think it's much. I used to always worry that the mamas didn't let their babies nurse enough. But the do snack frequently through the day.

kristen leu said:

Do you think being bottle fed makes a difference with their patience? (making them worse) I haven't owned goats that weren't bottle fed except for the kids I have now. I've noticed if momma doesn't want to feed them when they want she simply walks away. And they have to wait. They get to eat more often on momma too. Just a thought.

I've been looking online at what an udder looks like milked out. Holy Moly! I better get ALOT faster to get to that point. She still looks full by the time she and I have had enough.

Just wanted to post a quick update on how milking is going. The kids left for their new home this last weekend and we are now getting 2 qts per day. We are sooooo happy with this! It's still taking me 30 min. to milk each time but I NEVER would have imagined a few weeks ago I could get a qt in that time :)  YAY!!!!!!  My husband is still hand feeding her to keep her happy for so long but it's working until I get faster. I am so proud of Molly for how well she is doing for us! This is her ff and we are so happy with her!

Yay!  That's great news! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!! That's awesome!!

Congratulations, Kristen! That's awesome!

Now if I can get my hands to work in unison I could do it in half the time!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2021   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service