First milking attempt

Today was my first attempt at milking after seperating momma and babies last night for about 9 hrs. The kids are 5 weeks today. I only got a couple tablespoons. Now I'm worried I will do more harm than good by not letting kids nurse all night and getting such a small amount. She was dont eating and ready to get off the stand! Can this hurt her from not relieving her of enough milk??? Or will the kids make up for not eating all night? 

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You are doing well...It pays to hang in there!

• Now if I can get my hands to work in unison I could do it in half the time!
  • Congratulations, Kristen! That's awesome!

• CONGRATULATIONS!! That's awesome!!

• Yay!  That's great news! :)

• Just wanted to post a quick update on how milking is going. The kids left for their new home this last weekend and we are now getting 2 qts per day. We are sooooo happy with this! It's still taking me 30 min. to milk each time but I NEVER would have imagined a few weeks ago I could get a qt in that time :)  YAY!!!!!!  My husband is still hand feeding her to keep her happy for so long but it's working until I get faster. I am so proud of Molly for how well she is doing for us! This is her ff and we are so happy with her!

• I've been looking online at what an udder looks like milked out. Holy Moly! I better get ALOT faster to get to that point. She still looks full by the time she and I have had enough.

• Not necessarily. Most goats don't stand there very long after the first few days, so if there is a difference, I don't think it's much. I used to always worry that the mamas didn't let their babies nurse enough. But the do snack frequently through the day.

kristen leu said:

Do you think being bottle fed makes a difference with their patience? (making them worse) I haven't owned goats that weren't bottle fed except for the kids I have now. I've noticed if momma doesn't want to feed them when they want she simply walks away. And they have to wait. They get to eat more often on momma too. Just a thought.

• Do you think being bottle fed makes a difference with their patience? (making them worse) I haven't owned goats that weren't bottle fed except for the kids I have now. I've noticed if momma doesn't want to feed them when they want she simply walks away. And they have to wait. They get to eat more often on momma too. Just a thought.

• Wasn't my blog. You read on someone's site that they don't feed their does on the milk stand? That's interesting.

This reply was deleted.