Difficult birthing

This doe started with long mucus string hanging noticed around 7:@m, she panted standing up looking depressed with her head down all day and finally around 6:pm started pushing and had two breach babies, tail first. Then a third, tail first as well and it died right away. Tried to revive but it didn't make it. Mama does not want to get up, and still doesnt the next morning. She and babies were given a dose of nutidrench. The placenta was passed. Any thoughts? Thank you!

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OK. Thank you!
  • If she is eating and drinking, she will probably be fine. It's unusual, but sometimes they get a pinched nerve or something similar so their back end is very weak for a day or two after birthing. Blood-tinged mucus doesn't mean anything bad. Nothing you described about the birth sounded all that unusual, especially if the owners are new to goats, as they tend to see things as looking worse than they actually are. (I'll never forget the woman who thought her two does were in labor, and they were not even pregnant.) A string of mucus doesn't necessarily mean a doe is in labor. A glob of mucus the size of your thumb usually means you'll have kids in a couple of hours, but if the doe is walking around and eating and drinking and not making any noise, then it's nothing to worry about.

• Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:

Can you explain what you mean by she won't get up. Does this mean that she hasn't stood when you're out there watching her? Or does it mean that if you put feed a few feet away from her, she won't get up and go get it? Or does it mean that if you lift her up, she just lays back down? There would be a different explanation for all of these.

She gets up when you make her and now seems to be interested in food and water. She's not very interested in the babies. So they have milked her and got at least 6 ounces so are trying to feed it to the babies. I suggested trying to show the babies how to nurse as well. I think she will be ok. I wonder if the last baby had died in the womb. Have you seen blood tinged mucus before birthing? Mine have usually been clear or slightly yellowish.
  • Can you explain what you mean by she won't get up. Does this mean that she hasn't stood when you're out there watching her? Or does it mean that if you put feed a few feet away from her, she won't get up and go get it? Or does it mean that if you lift her up, she just lays back down? There would be a different explanation for all of these.

• Oops some how I placed this in introductions. Sorry, I don't know how to move the discussion. And it is a goat not owned by me, but one I sold as a baby to a friend whom I sent an invite to join our site. Her computer isn't working tody. :(
This reply was deleted.