Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

First Freshener FF Pre kidding udder development...due feb 19, Updated photos, now at 14 days to go.... at 23 days to go...countdown

50 more days to go. Yolanda is getting heavier and just starting to develop an udder. So exciting, this will be our first kidding. Black one is Yolanda, gold one is the buck. she isn't very big so i am guessing a single

Can't really see the udder starting to develop, but it is. looks like the teats may be a little to the outside as well.

Views: 1986

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

here is a side shot. when feeding yesterday i was able to see the kids really jumping around. i have also started feeding her on the milk stand again so that she can get accustomed to that. 

My gal is due first week of March... Too soon. Lol

She is carrying hers low in the belly. She hasn't gone out side to side, but hanging low.
Here's to successful, easy kidding!
Agree!

Julieanne Cook said:

I see a big difference! She has good size teats for an FF.

Yes very hopefull for a easy and successful kidding

Melissa Johnson said:

Here's to successful, easy kidding!

14 more days left until 150 and there is little difference. what little difference that i am seeing is the medial becoming a little more pronounced and the teats becoming more plumb, straight up and down. in the beginning i thought they were going to be pointing to the outside and they may still, but right now they look like they are positioned well. Also, earlier on her right side protruded out further and she looked lopsided. now she appears to be equally round with her belly growing and getting lower to the ground. and she also does a lot more laying around, though she will still get up and run when she wants.

How cute with her little white tipped tail!

James Tinker said:

14 more days left until 150 and there is little difference. what little difference that i am seeing is the medial becoming a little more pronounced and the teats becoming more plumb, straight up and down. in the beginning i thought they were going to be pointing to the outside and they may still, but right now they look like they are positioned well. Also, earlier on her right side protruded out further and she looked lopsided. now she appears to be equally round with her belly growing and getting lower to the ground. and she also does a lot more laying around, though she will still get up and run when she wants.

Within this topic, my doe will be 145 days March 6th. When should I start separating her from the other girls? Presently there are 5 all total living together. They have the area outside the barn and two rooms in the barn. I do not keep them in stalls. They have two separate rooms each about 10x12 approx

i have no real experience with this as i just have one doe and buck. i seperated her about 6 weeks out from due date because i noticed them doing some head butting and i didn't want to chance anyone getting hurt. i would say to watch behavior, and from what i have read some wait until heavy signs of labor, i.e. heavy mucous and tail ligaments gone. maybe someone with more expierence will chime in as well. 

i would say that the main thing to watch is the dynamic of your goats. i would think that as long as they can see each other that you could seperate them whenever you would like.

Melissa Johnson said:

Within this topic, my doe will be 145 days March 6th. When should I start separating her from the other girls? Presently there are 5 all total living together. They have the area outside the barn and two rooms in the barn. I do not keep them in stalls. They have two separate rooms each about 10x12 approx

Some people don't separate the expectant doe at all. Sometimes it's a comfort to the doe to have her sisters around, and occasionally an experienced doe will help with cleaning the kids. It depends on your goats. If the does are very competitive and fight a lot, it might not be a good idea. But if you want to separate her, I'd wait till active labor begins. Goats hate to be alone.
James Tinker said:

i have no real experience with this as i just have one doe and buck. i seperated her about 6 weeks out from due date because i noticed them doing some head butting and i didn't want to chance anyone getting hurt. i would say to watch behavior, and from what i have read some wait until heavy signs of labor, i.e. heavy mucous and tail ligaments gone. maybe someone with more expierence will chime in as well. 

i would say that the main thing to watch is the dynamic of your goats. i would think that as long as they can see each other that you could seperate them whenever you would like.

Melissa Johnson said:

When we had a herd that small we didn't separate them. If your other goats start beating up on the one that's due, I'd move her out, but otherwise they can stay together.
She always hangs back out of the crowd. They are starting to push her around a bit.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2021   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service