Replies

• I've seen 1 pound of grain per 3 pounds of milk produced.

• Deborah: Thanks for the advice. I'm not necessarily wanting to mix my own grain, just "top dress" it a little, I guess. I've begun using Chaffhaye... mixing it with DuMor Sweet Feed. I also add about 1/2 cup to a cup of the Mana Pro Calf Mana (depending on the does condition), as well as some BOSS, kelp, and DE. I have heard oats are a great energy source, so I was wondering about the different between whole and rolled oats.

One more question... is there a guideline about the amount of feed to give to does in milk? I realize much of that is dependent upon the size and condition of the doe, but I was wondering about some basic guidelines (i.e. how many pounds a doe should get daily depending upon her size, milk production, etc.)
  • If you're talking about mixing your own grain, I don't recommend it. It's much more complicated to feed goats than cattle or horses. We tried mixing our own using organic grain and Fertrell's goat feed additive, and the results were pretty terrible. 

The other thing to think about is that if you're going for a more natural diet, grain is not natural for goats or any ruminant. Giving them oat hay would be healthier for them than oats. I know there's grain in goat feeds, but there is also a fair amount of grass products (labeled as roughage or forage products) in those pellets.

This reply was deleted.