Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

Ok we all live in different parts of the country. When is kidding starting for each of us? We live in Kansas and plan to start Kidding middle of March around the 11th I think. Will are still in the breeding mode here so will have kids in April also and possibley May. But not any later as we had August kids this year and that was a tough one.
What are we hoping for a better doe ratio this year. Last year we had almost all bucks which most have been weathered but still love them, so am hoping for does this year. Say your prayers. Any advice from those experts out there oh how to inhance doe chances????

Views: 113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We start kidding at the end of February. We had been starting in January for the past few years, but after 16 below 0 temperatures in January, I'm not doing that again! I know it only gets that cold every 5-10 years, but I don't want to risk it again. I spent two days out there because the doe who was due first is one who never makes a sound until the kid's head is emerging. I was there with both daughters when she kidded, and in spite of the heat lamp, heating pad, and blow dryer, one kid still lost the tip of his ear to frost bite.
That is why we wait until March and April so that we don't have to sit out there We still need door on barn to make it warmer but want to make it larger too before kidding time. Keep your fingers crossed it happens. How many Does do you plan to have kidding. We have 8 or 9 this year maybe more depends on the little girls and there growth.
Ultimately, we'll have 17 kidding in 2010. I'm hoping to have 14-15 freshen in spring and the last 2-3 in fall. They're our sole dairy source, so we need to have at least a couple kidding in the fall to keep up the milk supply. We're spoiled after seven years and can't go back to store-bought milk. I even think the milk in a Starbuck's latte tastes nasty, so I get soy now. I never imagined I'd become such a milk snob. :)

Dianea Fay said:
How many Does do you plan to have kidding. We have 8 or 9 this year maybe more depends on the little girls and there growth.
We're in the south in Central La the lowest temps at night during Winter is the 30's The summer months are horrible with the heat and the humidity. So I try to have every one kid from Nov - March the lastest in April. In fact the 14 th is the last day I'm willing to breed. Any one not breed will have to wait till Sept. I have 3 in Dec - 11 in Jan - 2 in Feb - 2 in April. Last year Well this year has pretty much been a buck year. So keeping fingers crossed for more doelings last kidding season (DEC-APril) We only had 7 doelings.
I have a doe that should kid around the end of Feb, if she isn't sold before then. Otherwise we will start the end of March and almost have one doe kidding every month for the rest of the year. We keep goats to supply the family table with milk, so staggering them means we are never without.
Wow I would hate to have kids in the summer agin. Too much stress and work.

Jane Wagman said:
I have a doe that should kid around the end of Feb, if she isn't sold before then. Otherwise we will start the end of March and almost have one doe kidding every month for the rest of the year. We keep goats to supply the family table with milk, so staggering them means we are never without.
I have a doe due late Feb./early March and another one I just purchased who should be due in March, but I haven't bred any of my other does. I am waiting so I can get June babies. Last year we had March and April kids, but I decided to go later this year.
Our part of the country is pretty temperate and summers don't get all that hot, plus we have plenty of shade for the girls.

Dianea Fay said:
Wow I would hate to have kids in the summer agin. Too much stress and work.

Jane Wagman said:
We start in March this year here in Alaska. Glad we don't have any New Year kids dues, it's -10F out there but boy is it a GORGEOUS day!
This is our first time breeding......we bred two of our does in Dec and now we just took in another doe who we play to breed next month. I have five other doe (lings??).....not sure what to call them, they are about 7-9 months old.....can you see I am new to all of this? HA! We plan on breeding them in late summer/fall if everything goes well with these three.
The doe I bought last fall had kidded in August (previous owner said she did great and the kids are very healthy, so no problems then). I would like to keep her in milk as much as possible (just giving her time to dry off before she kids) but I'm wondering if breeding her to kid around the same time (maybe a couple weeks later) this year would be risky. Summers here can be brutal and can last through September. Any suggestions? For you experienced goaties, what's the worst part about kidding when it's hot?
I did not like the late summer births we had. Aug to be exact. All most lost all threee kids. They lived in the garage with fans on them to keep them coold. The AC also cooled garage as I leave house door open for cats to go use litter boxes in garage. You might be better with a Middle Sept birth. I for one am not excited about summer births due to heat and humidity here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2022   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service