Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

Today was kidding day to the 9th power.  I have 2 adult does, bred, and 1 yearling, probably bred for May kidding.  This is my first kidding, and I did not know for sure when the does got bred, but  I thought not until Dec. when I turned the buck in with them, just prior to our 6 wk FL trip.  Came home, and both does where definitely bred, but thought they had several weeks yet to go.  This AM I went out to chore at 7:30, and the black doe, Cleo, was lying down with a little mucus showing.  So quickly did the chores, turned the others outside, and moved her to a seperate pen.  Called Deborah (previous owner) and sounded like things were going fine.  I stayed with her, and she was progressing slowly.  Around 11:00 I saw one hoof showing; it went back in.  At 11:45 nothing else had happened, so I called Deborah again, and she said that was not good news.  To make a long story short, I eventually was able to pull 2 female does.  Both were alive; one very weak.  My husband had called the vet, and he actually came rather quickly.  He pulled 2 more.  They were all very mixed up and Cleo was having a really hard time.  Two more little girls.  By this time it was mid afternoon.  I was talking to Deborah, heading to the house for something, and I see the other pregnant doe outside in the lot with 3 kids!  She had been crying all morning while I was in the barn, but I just thought she was missing Cleo, and I was way too busy to check on her, not thinking she was due yet.  Well, she has 3 live babies, 1 female and 2 males, and she also had 2 dead ones, since I totally neglected her.  What a day!  But, Cleo is weak in the back end.  She is totally exhausted; has got up briefly to drink, but she just spreads her back legs out and her bag drags on the ground.  I hope she will be better tomorrow.  My daughter and granddaughter came over, and Cleo's babies have been fed with eye droppers all afternoon and evening.  3 are doing pretty well, but 1 the smallest a just over 2 lbs. has not stood up yet.  I have milked Cleo with the Henry milker and by hand, as I can't get them to nurse with her lying down.  Actually, my granddaughter rolled Cleo over on her back and I milked her by hand with her upside down.  She didn't seem to mind.  Taylor took a video of that.  I brought the little weak one inside tonight.    Thankfully, Bonnie's bablies are doing fine; everyone has heat lamps and lots of straw. I want to say a big thank you to Deborah for her help in guiding me while pulling the kids, and answering all the questions I have had.  Deborah, you are the best!  If any of you experts have any advice, I am ready for it.

Views: 513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We had a kid born last year that couldn't stand.   I put her in a laundry basket and took her to work with me and bottle fed her.  It took about a week before she was up and walking.  She is keeping up with the others now.

You girls are all so helpful.  You have no idea how good it is to know it may take a week before "Midnight" stands!  That is so encouraging, as yesterday I was feeling like it was hopeless.  She is mostly getting cholostrum from mom; yesterday I had to supplement with a little milk replacer, and that did not go as well.  I have gone back to feeding her with an eye dropper.  For now that works best.  Should I be giving her something else?  Thinking these kids weren't due until May has caught me really unprepared. She is really getting spoiled.  I had a sleeve to an old sweatshirt, and I put that on her, put some towels in the bottom of a little tote bag to fill up space, and put her in it.  She really likes being in it for a while off and on, and it is handy, since you can carry her around if you want.  Grandkids love it, although they are limited on the amount of time I let them mess with her.

Cleo has milk fever; that is why she couldn't stand and had nearly no milk.  She got her 50 cc calcium yesterday, and is slowly improving, PTL.  Her other 3 kids are doing great.  I milk her and give the 4 whatever I get from her, and top them off with milk replacer.  Just before noon today Dave and I tried to get her up.  She would not get up.  Took her temp and it was 101.2.  I was hoping to get the 3 kids back on her today.  She had me worried, so I called the vet and left message for him to call me.  Went right back to her pen after the call, and she got up on her own and started eating straw, then hay.  I stayed for 20 minutes and she was still standing and eating when I left.  Guess she knew I meant business when I called the vet!  I am so relieved that she is getting better.  She is getting spoiled, though, thinking she has to have warm water to drink.  Thank you, Deborah, for that advice.  

Glad to hear!!!!  I was wondering if the little one needed maybe some selenium/vit E gel or BoSe shot to help get her on her feet??? I don't know for sure its just a thought.

Sue Dowdy said:

You girls are all so helpful.  You have no idea how good it is to know it may take a week before "Midnight" stands!  That is so encouraging, as yesterday I was feeling like it was hopeless.  She is mostly getting cholostrum from mom; yesterday I had to supplement with a little milk replacer, and that did not go as well.  I have gone back to feeding her with an eye dropper.  For now that works best.  Should I be giving her something else?  Thinking these kids weren't due until May has caught me really unprepared. She is really getting spoiled.  I had a sleeve to an old sweatshirt, and I put that on her, put some towels in the bottom of a little tote bag to fill up space, and put her in it.  She really likes being in it for a while off and on, and it is handy, since you can carry her around if you want.  Grandkids love it, although they are limited on the amount of time I let them mess with her.

Cleo has milk fever; that is why she couldn't stand and had nearly no milk.  She got her 50 cc calcium yesterday, and is slowly improving, PTL.  Her other 3 kids are doing great.  I milk her and give the 4 whatever I get from her, and top them off with milk replacer.  Just before noon today Dave and I tried to get her up.  She would not get up.  Took her temp and it was 101.2.  I was hoping to get the 3 kids back on her today.  She had me worried, so I called the vet and left message for him to call me.  Went right back to her pen after the call, and she got up on her own and started eating straw, then hay.  I stayed for 20 minutes and she was still standing and eating when I left.  Guess she knew I meant business when I called the vet!  I am so relieved that she is getting better.  She is getting spoiled, though, thinking she has to have warm water to drink.  Thank you, Deborah, for that advice.  

Have you asked the vet what you could give the baby?  Is it tickle the tail to get them to nurse?  

I haven't asked the vet about the baby.  Our vet is a wonderful horse/cow vet.  He had never seen a NDDG before he saw Cleo.  I don't have enough confidence in him with the goats right now.  She weighed 2 lb 3 oz at birth and today she weighs 2 lb 10.5 oz. so she is gaining, but still not walking or standing.  Cleo is slowly improving; she is eating a lot, getting up a little.  Once today she stood eating for 20 minutes.  She isn't stable enough yet to have the kids nurse.  Her milk is gradually coming back.  I talked to the vet today, and he said she could have another 50 cc calcium.  I am not sure I want to do that yet.  Hopefully, she will continue to improve on her own.

What is this about tickling their tail to get them to nurse?  I have not heard that before, but I will be trying it.

Misfits Farm said:

Have you asked the vet what you could give the baby?  Is it tickle the tail to get them to nurse?  

Tickle them under the tail is supposed to stimulate the sucking motion.  Here is a link with some information from Cornell

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/goats/resources_list.html 

Cornell.edu has a goat management program that you can search for information.  Full size goats but I use it.  Fiasco farm also has a lot of their experiences on there.  Unfortunately, you have to pick what you think is accurate when you research on the net.  

When our vets first saw the nigerian dwarf goats, they asked how I was going to milk that?

Is the baby trying to move at all? 

Here are pics of the babies, the black/frosted ones are Cleo's and the multi colored/brown are Bonnie's.  There may be a pic #3 of our Buck, Mayo, too. (hopefully)  They are all doing better.  Cleo is on antibiotics and doing much better.  She is letting kids nurse and being a great mom.  They are catching on fast; I am still assisting them just a little, and topping them off, but it won't be for long.  House kid is just a little better; she is on lectrolites now part of the time and can sometimes stand briefly once you stand her up.

Attachments:

Awww! Soooo glad yo hear everyone is doing better :)  Cute Cute Cute!!

Glad to hear everyone is doing better! And you have some beautiful babies!

Wow, they are cute.  You did great!

Thanks, everyone!  We all think they are darling.  The little one in the house is growing stronger.  Friday evening she had taken a turn for the worse.  When I was feeding her in the middle of the night I was convinced she was not  going to make it.  I remembered that I had some Kaeco Selenium and Vit. E gen for goats.  I didn't think I had anything to lose, so I gave her a little over 1/4 t. of it.  She was better in a few hours.  May have been coincidence, I don't know.  Now that it is looking hopeful that she will survive, I am faced with a new set of problems.  What do I do with her when she starts walking????  Time to leave the kitchen!  I doubt  if Cleo will claim her, and even if she does, I don't think Cleo will have enough milk for 4.  If I put her in the pen w/Cleo I am afraid she will hurt her.  We do have a dog kennel w/roof/ big dog house.  Might be able to use that, but Hoss and husband probably will protest!  What do you all do when you have one like this?  I can put a little sweater of my dog's on her to help keep her warm.  This is a good problem!

Oh, thank you Misfit Farm for the link from Cornell.  I will  soon be checking it out.  The little one is standing on her own if you stand her up.  She cannot yet get up by herself.  This morning I stood her up, was busy and forgot about her, and about 10 minutes later she was still standing.  She wants to stand all the time, but those little legs get wobbley and collapse.  She is eating more, and slowly getting stronger.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2022   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service