Vaccination prior to kidding?

Hi guys.  My most educated guess is that my doe is approximately a month prior to kidding.  Do I need to vaccinate her?  What is the shot (is it CD&T?, can I buy it at TSC and give it myself?  If so, what would the dose be for a smaller doe.  She was 40# the first time I took her to the vet but that was during a crisis and I think she was underweight.  I don't know exactly what she weighs now but I think more like 46#, that's not including the pregnant belly. 

She already comes in to a stall every night with her little companion due to predators in these parts and I have put them on straw because we just had a cold snap, figured I'd just keep the straw till she kids.  Anything else I really need to do?

Thanks

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Based on what I've read, I don't think the doe would have time to build up that much immunity to pass along to the kids based solely on this one vaccine a day or two before kidding. I quit using vaccines 6-7 years ago in my herd and haven't really kept up with the info on them, but I've read on people's websites that they're injecting them starting anywhere from day 1 to 6 weeks of age. That doesn't necessarily mean the vaccine is doing anything. The manufacturer doesn't recommend it be used in kids that young.

Jamie Frentz said:

My friend has a doe that she believes will kid in the next day or 2.  She gave the doe the CDT vac about 2 days ago.  Will the kids still be covered?  If not, should she give the kids the vac  and when? 

Thanks!

• My friend has a doe that she believes will kid in the next day or 2.  She gave the doe the CDT vac about 2 days ago.  Will the kids still be covered?  If not, should she give the kids the vac  and when? 

Thanks!

• Yep, they're the same.

Juliana Goodwin said:

Is booster the same dose as intial vax?  I didn't want to bother her again.  Thanks!!

• Yes we had our first broody this past summer and it was truly very special to watch.  She was an outstanding mother.  Our flock is free range but we had moved her into another stall and she stayed in there with the chicks w/ a small outdoor run till they were about 5 weeks old.  We lost one to a hawk before we got wise and put a tarp over the run. 

Our starter flock was all bator babies and they wouldn't eat seeds, bugs etc., they didn't know how to do anything because they had no mother.  These chicks learned everything from mom and were accepted easily back into the flock.  Seeing them perched under her wing at night when they were like 3 weeks old I remember thinking, "there is no way a heat lamp is adequate after seeing this"  Hearing her talk to them, she had a word for "freeze and be quiet" and a word for "here, eat this" and so on.  Really special.  And she seemed to be in such a zen state while sitting on her clutch. 

At any rate, I am rambling.  I emailed my goat's breeder and she said don't worry about pre kidding vaccine, just do the babies at 8 weeks then booster at 12.

Is booster the same dose as intial vax?  I didn't want to bother her again.  Thanks!!

• IMO, dam raised kids have an advantage. They are healthier, and hardier from what I have observed. I think it's a lot like breast feeding a baby. When there's milk involved, there's so much that kids get from their mom's nutritionally. By the same token, there's so much they get from having their mom's with them, and that can't be taught by humans.

It's truly an amazing thing to see how all the pieces fall together for hen raised/brooded chicks isn't it? I was just blown away at how every little detail of chicken life that seems a little senseless or silly all becomes part of a beautiful picture of perfection. Starting with a broody hen that hatches a clutch of eggs. Then the pieces all fall into place one by one and everything makes so much sense, doesn't it?

• Guineas and turkeys don't do well with babies when free-range, but otherwise, I tend to agree that moms do the best job of raising babies. We put our mama turkeys in moveable pens with their babies so they don't lose them.

Juliana Goodwin said:

Am I just a big rediculous softy to think that babies need their mothers?

• Am I just a big rediculous softy to think that babies need their mothers?

Now that I've seen the difference between hen raised chicks and 'bator raised chicks I don't even want to hatch them artificially if I can help it (though if this hawk doesn't leave us alone we're going to have to in order to revive the flock)

• That is a good question, and I'm not sure I've actually heard anyone say what it should be. Most people just talk about checking a map, such as this one:

http://www.hoeggergoatsupply.com/info/selenium.shtml

Janel Rickey said:

I had a question about the Selenium and Vitamin E shots(?) or gel.  I live in Colorado and looking at the Geological Survey it states that the mean amount of selenium in our county is .973.  So my question is, do I need to worry about giving my goats the Selenium/Vitamin E? Couldn't find much on what the levels need to be not to give them the selenium.  Thanks

• I had a question about the Selenium and Vitamin E shots(?) or gel.  I live in Colorado and looking at the Geological Survey it states that the mean amount of selenium in our county is .973.  So my question is, do I need to worry about giving my goats the Selenium/Vitamin E? Couldn't find much on what the levels need to be not to give them the selenium.  Thanks

• I actually saw someone on Facebook the other day say she was having a "dripping wet buck sale" and was offering people a deal if they'd pick up bucklings within a day or two of birth. I'd be worried sick if I ever let a kid go that early.

This reply was deleted.