Urinary Calculi

I believe my male goat may have some type of urinary problem.  I have cut down on grain recently as I was advised that I was overfeeding the male goats.  I noticed that today my four month old buck seem to be straining a bit to urinate.  He also cried a bit.  He did have urine come out slow but he did this a few times in a row.  What is the treatment for this??  I have read that a preventative is Ammonium Chloride but is treatment different when they have it.  Any suggestions? 

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I usually give sub-q shots over the ribs or belly -- pretty much wherever I can get a good bit of skin to pull up. I think I've always had someone hold kids for me when I give them injections.

Did you mean to say that you HAVE cut way back on the grain?

Sharon Barreira said:

The vet said that sometimes it only takes 72 hours to get really bad.  It's funny that you get to know your goats traits and personalities.  It's just like having a kid.  If I hadn't noticed the day before that he cried when he urinated, I would not have known what the problem is.  I have not cut the grain way back and have learned a valuable lesson.  He was still a little slow to start the morning but seemed to be a bit better this evening.  He was jumping up in my lap again.  It was good to have him back to normal.  Shots I gave today seemed to go OK.  I was afraid that the goat was going to break the needle by moving.  Where do you give the shots (what area)?  Is there an easy way to hold them (other than the neck?  I do not have a stantion yet so it is a little hard to do things like this, even trimming nails is a long chore.  Everything is a work in progress.  Just built a new goat barn but yet to finish the inside, putting up fence tomorrow and the stantion is last.  I am having trouble finding dimentions directly for Nigerian Dwarf goats.  A lot to learn yet.
  • The vet said that sometimes it only takes 72 hours to get really bad.  It's funny that you get to know your goats traits and personalities.  It's just like having a kid.  If I hadn't noticed the day before that he cried when he urinated, I would not have known what the problem is.  I have not cut the grain way back and have learned a valuable lesson.  He was still a little slow to start the morning but seemed to be a bit better this evening.  He was jumping up in my lap again.  It was good to have him back to normal.  Shots I gave today seemed to go OK.  I was afraid that the goat was going to break the needle by moving.  Where do you give the shots (what area)?  Is there an easy way to hold them (other than the neck?  I do not have a stantion yet so it is a little hard to do things like this, even trimming nails is a long chore.  Everything is a work in progress.  Just built a new goat barn but yet to finish the inside, putting up fence tomorrow and the stantion is last.  I am having trouble finding dimentions directly for Nigerian Dwarf goats.  A lot to learn yet.
  • Stop feeding grain and get ammonium chloride. You can order it online. I know Hoegger has it. I imagine other goat places also have it. Keep a very close eye on him, because if he can't pee at all, you have to take him to the vet ASAP.

Amber Patterson said:

It looks like the goat passed the stone (it looked by a bloody clot more than a stone).  Now he is just standing there and pee is trickling.  He is eating hay but not really moving much.  Any thoughts. 

• It looks like the goat passed the stone (it looked by a bloody clot more than a stone).  Now he is just standing there and pee is trickling.  He is eating hay but not really moving much.  Any thoughts. 

• I think I'll get some of that preventative and give it to them, just in case...
  • Sunflower seeds are also high in phosphorus, so theoretically the same danger exists. Sunflower seeds, soybeans, corn, oats are all seeds/grains. But if you only give them a handful a day, it's probably not a problem.

Kare at Chaverah Farm said:
    Is this something to be concerned about if the boys only get BOSS and not grain?  Or does grain cause it?
  • Penicillin is for possible infection caused by cutting off the tip of his penis -- it does nothing for the urinary calculi.

Laying around is NOT a sign of urinary calculi (stones). It could means dozens of things. A goat with UC can't pee or only trickles and cries when trying to pee.

Amber Patterson said:

I think I am dealing with the same problem here.  But being Sunday and no Vet. is open could I go ahead and start the pen?  My buck is just laying around and not doing much of anything.  He does not seem to want to move.  I have not noticed him pee or not pee. 

• Is this something to be concerned about if the boys only get BOSS and not grain?  Or does grain cause it?
  • I think I am dealing with the same problem here.  But being Sunday and no Vet. is open could I go ahead and start the pen?  My buck is just laying around and not doing much of anything.  He does not seem to want to move.  I have not noticed him pee or not pee. 

• I'm so glad you caught it in time! I'm sure the vet told you it would have killed him fairly quickly once he could no longer pee at all. Now please stick around the list so when newbies talk about giving bucks grain, you can share your experience! They really don't need much, if any at all.

Sharon Barreira said:
    Deborah,  I ended up calling the vet today and she needed to cut off where the calculi was.  She tried to get it out by palpation but it did not work.  I even called all over and ended up picking up some ammonium chloride this morning but I noticed that he was not his usual self.  All he wanted to do was lay down.  This goat never just lays there.  He was crying a bit and was trying to urinate but it only trickled out.  Now I get my chance to give my first pennicillin shots tomorrow.  I'm a bit nervous.  He seems to be feeling a bit better but still cries a bit from where he was cut.  Thanks for the advise.
This reply was deleted.