Triplets!

After taking a year off of breeding, we have 4 does kidding this year.  Our only ND doe kidded Easter evening.  She's a first freshener, turning two in July.  From the first sound that she was getting down to business to the time we got to the barn was maybe three minutes.  When we got there there were three kids in a puddle of goo, the last one still in intact membranes.  Crazy fast!!  She was so tiny that she didn't even look pregnant, so we were shocked that she had three, albeit very small, kids.  They were a doe -  2# 7 oz., buck - 1# 14 oz and a buck - 1# 14.3 oz.  We are weighing them every 12 hours, and all are growing at the same rate, so she seems to be doing well.  They are adorable!  It's so much fun to be back at it! :)

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks! :)

Naomi D'Andrea said:

How sweet! Congratulations!

• The way they give birth seems to run in families like that sometimes.  This does grandmother had triplets and very, very quickly too.  Come to think of it, so did her mother.  I'm glad she isn't following her mother's pattern of giving birth at 2:00 AM every single time! :)

We had a doe who gave birth to twins without a sound this year.  Stefanie was the only one here, and went from the house straight to the barn to check on her.  She found her at the very moment the first was being born and she gave birth to both without a sound.  A baby monitor is very helpful, but it doesn't always work as intended.  Crazy ladies! :)

Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:

Congratulations! Your story is amazing because that's almost exactly what happened here today. The only difference is that the doe never made a single sound -- nothing, nada, zilch! I suddenly heard a kid screaming over the monitor. It sounded like it was hanging in a hay feeder or something. I thought it was one of the kids that was a few days old. So I put my shoes on and ran out there to find three kids sitting in a puddle of amniotic fluid! This is only the second time this has happened -- that we heard a kid screaming without ever hearing mama make a sound. Last time was 6-7 years ago with this goat's aunt, and there were three kids sitting in a puddle when we got out there. Then, however, it was several degrees below zero. At least it was 70 here today. Much less stressful!

Enjoy those beautiful babies!

• How sweet! Congratulations!

• Congratulations! Your story is amazing because that's almost exactly what happened here today. The only difference is that the doe never made a single sound -- nothing, nada, zilch! I suddenly heard a kid screaming over the monitor. It sounded like it was hanging in a hay feeder or something. I thought it was one of the kids that was a few days old. So I put my shoes on and ran out there to find three kids sitting in a puddle of amniotic fluid! This is only the second time this has happened -- that we heard a kid screaming without ever hearing mama make a sound. Last time was 6-7 years ago with this goat's aunt, and there were three kids sitting in a puddle when we got out there. Then, however, it was several degrees below zero. At least it was 70 here today. Much less stressful!

Enjoy those beautiful babies!

This reply was deleted.