Thin 7 yr old doe

Doe that is thin.  I can feel readily her spine.  Her sides are fairly sunken in.  Unusually...

I feed orchard grass. She has been wormed, fecal done, came back ok, did three b12 injections 3 days apart.

she was hollering last night, heat, so wondering if that's problem. This has been going on for little more than month.

her color was faded looking gave copper 2 gr. On January 25th

i hadn't been feeding much grain during early winter, just enough to move them.  Started giving her about a cup in December.  

After the b12, some lixotinic, nutri drench she perked back up.  Still not seeing a lot of improvement.

shes not bred, has been in heat.

thoughts?  That's her as my profile pic,  at her best!  I'll get a pic.

thanks!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks that answers some questions.  I waited out in the barn with a cup and caught the sample. :)  they always tell me to keep the sample refrigerated.  I'm sure they do as well.  So I feel better about that.

maybe I should change up their minerals.  

Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:

You don't have to do anything special to get barber pole to show up in a fecal flotation, but if you didn't use a fresh poop sample, the eggs may have hatched. And hopefully they do the test as soon as you take the sample to the vet office and don't leave it sitting on a counter for hours (because the eggs could hatch).

Purina goat minerals have very high salt, which could reduce the amount that she consumes.

• You don't have to do anything special to get barber pole to show up in a fecal flotation, but if you didn't use a fresh poop sample, the eggs may have hatched. And hopefully they do the test as soon as you take the sample to the vet office and don't leave it sitting on a counter for hours (because the eggs could hatch).

Purina goat minerals have very high salt, which could reduce the amount that she consumes.

• Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:

I have never used red cell. My philosophy is to figure out the cause of the anemia and treat the cause. The body is great at producing its own red cells when everything is in balance. I've had goats come back from paper white eyelids in only a few days once they were treated for barber pole worms.

Other than barber pole worms, anemia can be caused by copper deficiency or cobalt deficiency. If you are using Sweetlix minerals, it has more cobalt in it than anything else out there, so that should not be a problem. 

https://thriftyhomesteader.com/goats-cobalt/

I have never used lixotinic, but looked at the label, and that is a lot of copper, especially since it is copper sulfate.  However, frequency would play a big role in whether it actually treated for a copper deficiency or wound up causing toxicity.

would barber pole or a show up in a fecal?  I read it had to be fecal sedimentation??  I mentioned that to the vet and he said he didn't think the lab used that procedure for barber pole worms.  .. Yikes.

• Thnx.  The beginning of the story.  

I checked her lids in January and they were very light pink.  I thought maybe worms.  after some reading, I treated  with safeguard.  I dosed at 8cc/100.  In ten days I gave her another dose.  Vet told me per my description of lids, I should give her some iron supplement.  She's never stopped eating, but her appetite did wane a bit and I noticed she had dropped some weight.

after the worming, I gave her b12 injections, three, 3 days apart, plus lixotinic 4 doses for the iron.  

Vet told me no more lixotinic because of copper content.  He said it had a lot and was afraid of copper toxicity.

i gave her COWP  on 1/25th.  I would've given her more than two grams.  I guess her weight at 65 lbs. probably a bit lite.

i gave her 3 gr.

minerals, I use Purna Loose Goat minerals because it has high copper, but..... Does she eat enough.

I take fecals to vet, don't do my own.  Surprisingly enough, I have never had an overload that warranted the need to worm.  

When i I saw her eye lids so pale in the beginning, I thought geez they've never been wormed! No wonder!  Did a fecal after I wormed with safeguard, came back clear.    So who knows, maybe she didn't need the worming...... .?

shes been in heat as well, but I've never really noticed her losing weight before.

• I have never used red cell. My philosophy is to figure out the cause of the anemia and treat the cause. The body is great at producing its own red cells when everything is in balance. I've had goats come back from paper white eyelids in only a few days once they were treated for barber pole worms.

Other than barber pole worms, anemia can be caused by copper deficiency or cobalt deficiency. If you are using Sweetlix minerals, it has more cobalt in it than anything else out there, so that should not be a problem. 

https://thriftyhomesteader.com/goats-cobalt/

I have never used lixotinic, but looked at the label, and that is a lot of copper, especially since it is copper sulfate.  However, frequency would play a big role in whether it actually treated for a copper deficiency or wound up causing toxicity.

• I discovered WalMart has Red Cell iron supplement for horses in the qt bottle.  Do you have a dose?  I'm thinking give her red cell, nutri- drench and more b12?  

I've read give the red cell every day for a few days, other things I've read said less frequent.  

• Thanks for the response!

wish I had a way to weigh them.  I'm guessing she's about 65 pounds.  She's my largest structured doe.  I probably am under dosing her on the copper.

Her eye lids are still pale pink, after being given lixotinic (which concerned vet given the amount of copper in it).  I have been addressing this for a scant month actually.  

Her poops are berries, looks good there.

she is coming out of a heat as well.

Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:

She doesn't look terribly thin, so that's good. When dosing for copper deficiency, the usual dose is 1 gram per 22 pounds. I usually give my ND adult does 4 grams.

What do her eyelids look like? Pink? White? Red? Is she pooping berries, clumps, logs?

• She doesn't look terribly thin, so that's good. When dosing for copper deficiency, the usual dose is 1 gram per 22 pounds. I usually give my ND adult does 4 grams.

What do her eyelids look like? Pink? White? Red? Is she pooping berries, clumps, logs?

This reply was deleted.