Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

My first freshener who was due a week ago at this point still doesn’t look close. She is soft in the udder area but doesn’t have a bag yet and has slightly larger teats. I was able to squeeze milk out and her ligaments seem a bit softer than usual but are far from gone. Her vulva is still tight like normal. I know my date is absolutely correct because we did driveway breeding so she was only with the buck once. We saw him breed her three times while we were there and she didn’t come back into heat. She is also significantly wider than usual and has a bigger bulge on the right side. Everything I know points to pregnancy yet she still hasn’t had babies yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve never heard of a FF not bagging up early. Is she not pregnant? Just taking her sweet time? We are at 153 days right now.

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let us know how things go!

Thank you so much for all your help! I really appreciate it

My poor goats are scarfing their new minerals like its grain or something amazing. I have never seen butter touch them before and she’s hogging them. I feel terrible that they were desperate for minerals and I had no idea they didn’t have what they needed. I just figured they were being picky. 

One of my biggest frustration is the number of terrible products on the market for goats. You're not the first person to have this happen. Hopefully you'll see some big improvements! 

Just wanted to give a little update in case anyone else is having a similar problem. My girls look so good after 3 months on the new minerals. I see them eating it every day and have to refill constantly. Their coats are shiny and soft. My cream colored goat is apparently supposed to be brown and cream because she has a ton of brown now. They are much more active and play with each other which they never did before. My skinny girl that I could never get weight on has filled out and looks beautiful. Best of all, both does are having strong, obvious heat cycles on a predictable schedule. They go see the buck in a couple of weeks so I’m crossing my fingers for spring babies. Thanks again for your help! I would never have figured it out on my own.

Yay!!! This is SO exciting! I'm so happy for you and your goats! Looking forward to seeing baby pictures next spring!

Heather L said:

Just wanted to give a little update in case anyone else is having a similar problem. My girls look so good after 3 months on the new minerals. I see them eating it every day and have to refill constantly. Their coats are shiny and soft. My cream colored goat is apparently supposed to be brown and cream because she has a ton of brown now. They are much more active and play with each other which they never did before. My skinny girl that I could never get weight on has filled out and looks beautiful. Best of all, both does are having strong, obvious heat cycles on a predictable schedule. They go see the buck in a couple of weeks so I’m crossing my fingers for spring babies. Thanks again for your help! I would never have figured it out on my own.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2020   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service