Not sure where to post this: if you could make a goat app...

Okay, goat peeps; time to have your voices herd (ha!). I am putting together, in theory at least, a comprehensive goat management app. If there is already one out there, please let me know, as I have been unable to find it. I need to outline its functions, here's what I have so far:

Individual goat record pages:

Goat name with pics, breed, sex, DOB, colour, weight & height (changes saved to a history), dam, sire.

Inoculations & medical notes, wormings, breedings, freshenings, offspring, hoof trimmings, ownership records, sales (all changes saved to a history).

For does, milking notes saved to a historical chart.

All individual goat records linked to an extended pedigree, and linked to form a milking/breeding history of the herd.

Push notifications of upcoming freshening due dates.

That's off the top of my head. What would YOU add?

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Any pregress on the app?  I've been thinking about it a lot lately, as I seem to be swimming in notes and lists, and I'd sure love to get my hands on it :)

• Yes, it is helpful! Not sure about the agriculture land part...sounds ridiculous...doesn't it? I mean if I were making money for them to tax and not on agriculture land (whatever that is? zoned that way..I guess you mean) they would want the money right? Dah! They are so strange! Thanks!

• YOu need to be on agriculture land and you can go back to the previous year (maybe two) and pick up expenses once you have an income...but you do not need to wait as you can take business losses for three years on schedule C with out any ramification with the IRS..they than want the third year to show income and some type of small profit in order to judge you as a small business versus a hobby...

I do taxes for farmers here in Hawaii (Quickbooks) so I do know some of this stuff even though I am not a CPA...get a good bookkeeper first because a tax person is (CPA or Enrolled Agent) is way too expensive)..it like $24 vs $150 an hour where I live...so you can see the benefit of having a good bookkeeper (preferably one who deals with agriculture.)The main thing is the IRS is looking for your record keeping (excel or quickbooks) and proof of your being a business..which is usually business cards, web page, some thing to show that you are actively involved in promoting your farm business...hopefully this was helpful  

• I like this are you talking about have this data in the "Cloud"...

• Tammy, I do not know anything about what is on line about it, but I am sure that it is there. I have not filed this way yet but will be soon. (next year) I know about it because a very old friend told me, years ago about how she did it and she is one of the most intelligent people I have ever known. (Very well known chemical engineer) I know she knows what she is talking about and had a tax person who knew about these things. If your tax person does not know about this, you need a new one. Sorry, but city or not, a good tax person should know the laws about filing for anyone. I have spoke to mine and she does know about it but suggested I wait for now, since I have not made any income on anything yet, but I still think that I should have been doing it so that I could claim my expenses. She says she can claim my expenses later when she files the income. I'm not sure about all  of this, because I am just learning about it myself, but I do know that it can be done even on small family homesteads. You just need a tax person who knows how to file for you as a farm. Guess you and I can learn together! Think I should start a new thread for this so we can all have a place to put what we know and learn so we can all figure it out together. I am sure some folks like Deb do this and know more. Maybe I can find a book about this too! Watch for the new discussion!

• Thanks for mentioning this.  I would love more info about this and how it all works.  I am small time and a little smaller at the moment do to  Coyote attacks recently but I just purchased my first LGD to try to fix that problem.

Can you recommend some site for info on the tax deductions. I have a city guy do our taxes.  He doesn't know anything!

Margaret Langley said:

Speaking of taxes, something I don't think I have ever seen mentioned on here, you all do realize that you don't have to be a big/or commercial farm in order to file your taxes as a farm, don't you! When you file as a farm even your LGDs dog food etc. are tax deductible! Because they are there to protect your livestock! If you don't know about theses things you should discuss it with whomever does your taxes!

• Sounds great, homestead livestock app! Wonderfully geeky and a niche to fill...thank you in advance!
    Margo
  • LOL!  Yeah, I hear ya!

• Patty, you sound just like me! I was freaking out about thinking that none of my 9 yearlings were pregnant, 'til I ran up on a discussion the other day that I had started about them! I then took that date and the calender of notes, and consulted the gestation schedules on line, only to realize that my girls could very well be pregnant and not far enough along to be showing or making udders. So then I felt a lot better!

• Sounds awesome! :)  I'd be interested.  I friend requested you so I can send a message about us.  This is quite exciting.  I'd love to see if something like this works for someone who's sort of ADD.  I have notes here, there, and everywhere.  I'd never be able to find them though.  My only chance of remembering when or how I've done something is if I've written it on the calendar (I try), written it in the checkbook (ie. hay purchase), or blogged about it.  It's kind of crazy, and I waste a lot of time looking for things.  Like that little slip of paper that's on my dresser somewhere with a wormer dosage written on it...My grandmother faithfully wrote down what she and my grandfather did each day on the farm for over 50 years.  I'm trying to improve, really! LOL!

This reply was deleted.