mastitis?

Indiana 5 year Nigerian dwarf doe kidded in February 2012 . in October sold 2 boys all that remained was the girl. she nursed both sides after the boys were sold. I have not milked this year. have not scene the doeling nurse in a while. by my calculation Indiana should be dry. I have not been out taking care of the goats but the person who has been tending them for me noticed the left side of the utter engorged this afternoon the right side appeared to be empty. when I investigated, left side was clogged and had clumps the Constancy of wet toilet paper. right side was clogged but otherwise empty. Left side did NOT have milk but had what appeared to be water. left side had a little bit of milk. no penicillin available. treated both sides with TODAY. did not take full syringe wondering if I should treat tomorrow as instructions say she can be retreated in 12 hours. should I resume milking four times a day after treatment.

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• non-herbal or not - I vote for the most effective, sometimes you need to rectify a problem fast.

Adrienne said:

i like the people on this group but the facebook format of my other goat group and other groups... but didn't want to catch flak for non-herbal remedies. were this group on fb i might be more inclined to visit more regularly again.

• I didn't realize that Deborah. But I suppose it makes sense. I wondered when she got it the first time here if she had had it previously.  I wonder why that is? She was, and I hope still may be my best producing doe despite her less than desirable rear attachments. I am interested to see what her daughter does that I have from her last kidding. She has one other daughter I am kicking myself for selling.  Thus far she is the only one to give me any does!

Isabel was a bit of trouble health wise , and yet she was beautiful and had a perfect disposition. I have a beautiful wonderful wether who took after her in temperament,but I assume it was his sire that gave him the hardiness  and sheer mass, color pattern, that annoying yet endearing bit of smartallic (SP?) he would have made a great buck with his confirmation is exactly what I tend to look for ( though I am no expert).  He is the patterned one on the front right. I hoped for a doe the last time, but she only had a single buck and he wasn't anything to write home about , sadly. Someone else loved him Thankfully, and no one was eaten this year.

Brandi gave some striking and very nice looking bucklings from her last pairing, She herself is stunningly beautiful to me, but she knows it, and she just never really came round. She milks well, has a good udder and big orifices, but I wish she loved me back. You know? Oh well, can't win all. At least she loves me once a year when she's in labor. I suppose that will do. Maybe. If I can have a doe or two. I might let it slide. :)

Despite not being able to sleep tonight ( perhaps the medication change or the fact that I have slept through a good portion of the last two days and nights), I seem to be doing better. I still can't dress myself without help (surgery). I still am most comfortable laying down on my right side, but I am able to sit up, and stand and walk with less pain or discomfort for longer periods. I ALMOST made my own sandwich this morning, but I ended up getting dizzy after I got all the contents ready, so someone else made it for me.  I delayed taking my evening medicine so that I could drive, because I had to  ( 3 people 1 car). I might be able to go back to work soon...at least for a short time. I will ask Tuesday, I would really like to have some Christmas money for gifts.

• So happy to hear that! I forgot to mention earlier than a goat that has had mastitis in the past is at high risk of having it again, so do keep a close eye on her in the future.

I hope you are also feeling better!

• She is doing much better. there doesn't seem to be anymore questionable fluid,clumps,or blood coming from the udder. All i have gotten out is medicine, so i am thinking that she has successfully dried off. The udder looks and feels normal again. so glad.

• a lot of city people are strange.  The hay feeder in that pic didnt last long before i figured a way to get the hay even farther off the ground and keep the kids out of it. I still ask for a real hay feeder, but i may never get it. as always everything here must be portable and inexpensive as possible. function over fashion. The water i still dont know about. There was some problem July of last year and we switched to bottled because I really dont have the containers space or time to boil 250 gal. and when I wrote of my parasite woes on another forum, someone who's spent their entire life farming suggested it could be the water. When I looked at my records I saw a huge drop in high fecal floats and increased famacha scores during the period the goats were on the bottled water, and increased again when the house water was " Safe to drink." Our elderly neighbors have been drinking that water for 30 years and complained of health problems that abated after switching to bottled water. They requested a water test and the Parish came out to perform it and said that the water was "Safe to drink." I would really like to have a third party test done for everything under the sun, that I could then take to the Parish and say " you said this was safe to drink...but obviously not!" but i haven't got $300 to do it . but humans and animals get bottled water or the animals can be supplemented with the rain water we are able to collect. if neither is available and they need water the morning we go to town i boil it.

• Thanks for sharing the photo! And I can't believe anyone would equate them with old broken down cars and washing machines! Eeeek!

• You HAVE been through a lot! Well, I'm glad you're hanging in there! I do think these little girls are totally worth the time it takes to figure our how to make it all work on your property. What exactly was wrong with the water? Was it just contaminated? Sounds like it might not be safe for you to drink either.

Poor Indiana will eventually forgive you for treating her with the intramammary drugs. That's just sweet these girls are. Even knowing that, I really hate doing things to them that I know they don't like. I wish they understood why we have to do things sometimes! Having had a doe die from mastitis, I know it really is nothing to play with!

• poor girl hates all of us now.  it takes three of us to manage it easily.  one stands and talks to her and pets her head, even with food she fights us, one holds the back legs and the other to do the sticking. Tonight there were only two of us, and she had some blood that came out with the Today Syringe, but not when she was milked out. might just be slight irritation from having something shoved in there the wrong direction. Will get a better look in the morning. However, the consistency of the fluid expressed from the udder does appear to be improving. I am thinking I will go ahead and treat for 4 days and then do a CMT. If that result is unfavorable I will take a sample to the vet for a culture and go from there.  She looks to be pregnant. vulva pointing down and she has put on some weight, and is keeping her belly full. She tends to show early. By the time she kids she looks like shes going to have more than 3. But she never does. So I definitely want to make sure she is healthy for that!  Brandi, by comparison, takes a while, she really stays rather slim until the last month to 6 weeks.  Still baffles me how Indiana got Mastitis, but I guess what matters is that it was discovered and she's getting treatment. 

Everyone agrees and we hope for a much better year next year. This year has been really rough. It took 10 months to finally close on the refinance of our house, and so much repair, most of which we did ourselves. And going back and forth with the mortgage company over the goats. As kidding season nears I move them to the front of the property so that I can hear them from my bedroom at night, and they were very VERY pregnant when the mortgage company equated them to "old cars and broken down washing machines in the front yard!!!" I don't know about you but I have to say that this is the most beautiful "garbage" anyone could ever have in their front yard. pic was taken around that time. Of 7 kids born this year we only had 1 doe. and two of the boys died. One by what seemed to be trampling of the older goats, and one dog attack in front of my eyes!, which was paralyzed and had to be put down because he was unable to nurse and would not take a bottle. I just didn't want him to suffer and starve to death. That was really a tough choice to have to make! I was laid off twice and fired once, and now I am only working part time, and haven't worked in 3 weeks due to health. The chickens were attacked for the first time ever ( some lost feathers but we scared off whatever it was and they all survived) and decided they won't sleep in their coop anymore, but atop the goat house instead, laying their eggs under the hay feeder.  But it hasn't been all terrible. We did find a way to manage parasites on our small property. A HUGE part of that was the water at our house, they now get rain water or filtered water from another supply ($1/5 gal) and we also switched to primarily dry lot. They do get out to roam the property every so often, and the lots  get moved when they become too difficult to keep clean. I have 2 out of 6 that have only needed to be dewormed ONCE this year so far! The others have been on a roughly quarterly deworming, looking at the space between the dates that each individual has needed treatment. Controlling the grass they are getting has really helped. I am quite happy now with the way they have responded to this management. I have never thought that it could be the water. BUT there is a visible difference in the water we all drink now vs, the house water. I am glad someone very experienced mentioned it to me that someone they knew lost an entire herd of cattle before discovering that the problem lay in the water. 

2771469165?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I'm glad you have enough Today to treat Indiana. It's usually better than injectable because it gets right to the infected part of the goat. Systemic injections don't always work for mastitis.

You have been through a lot lately! I hope you and Indiana are both feeling better soon! Hugs!

• oh i looked in the box today and i do have enough. there was more in the box than i thought. Thank you for your prayers patty.

This reply was deleted.