During a discussion about how dangerous hay racks could be for goat kids  HERE , Margaret came up with this idea for using a crib rail to make a hay rack.  I though it was a great idea, and set out right away looking for a free crib to use for the project.  I found one a while ago, but it took a long time for me to get the guts to try the building plan I'd formed in my head.  This was my first building project! LOL!  I have to get good at building stuff, because hubby has vowed that, "After this buck pen is done, I'm never doing another goat building project, and I mean never!"  I'm not sure how seriously to take him, but at this point I'm not pushing my luck, LOL! :)

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• nice.

• It will also be turned the other way to reduce the chances of a stuck leg. :)

• Great ideas, Margaret!  I actually have an extra crib rail that I will have to repurpose. :)  Here's a photo of our new little feeder.  My husband is new to goats and didn't realize it would be better to have it installed higher up so we need to fix that.  They seem to like it though. :)2771467098?profile=original

• Very cool I would love to see that too Wendi. I plan to get my stepdad to give me a TED (FYI-Turtle Exclusion Device-used on shrimp/fish whatever nets that release the turtles so they don't get caught) he has had  hanging around by his shed forever. I think it would come in handy. I had always thought it would be great as part of a creep feeder for pigs lets or kids. FYI-Creep Feeder-lets the little guys walk through to feed and keeps out the adult family members. We put a ladder rack off a pick-up out back and afixed the metal part of a futon (minus excess parts) across the top, covered it with 2x4 wire and piled on a few hay bales and tied on a tarp and it makes a nice extra shady place to hang out and nibble, but also makes for a nice hay bed under there from their dropping and scattering. I like doing different things so they have a variety of places to hang out and nibble. My favorite resulted from my little Kate deciding that they couldn't stand all in and lay in that big old store display basket I had filled with hay if only it were hanging from the swing chains. Off the hooks came the swing and on went the big hay basket. Tis true they can eat there all day but cannot get in it to soil it at all.

• How funny!  I just made one from the head board of a metal toddler bed. :)  It works great!

• That is awesome!! Way to go :0)

• Well, thanks Margaret!  I'm feelin' the love! LOL  I'm so glad you had the idea so I could try it.  It's by far the best and safest idea that I've been able to utilize.  Everything else was either too easily contaminated because the kids could get into it, or was unsafe for them.  This is perfect, and it would never have been if it weren't for you.  Big thanks for the idea! :)

Margaret Langley said:

Well, Patty I am super impressed and just so darn proud of you til I wish I could give you a big hug and a pat on the back so I hope you sense them coming your way! You go girl! You will be able to do more projects don't you worry!

• That's an awesome idea!  You'll have to show us some pics if you do it.  I love old wagon wheels.

Glenna Rose said:

Very nice.  I have a crib that belonged to my son's family, a drop-side crib that cannot be used for children but nothing in the warnings about kids.<g>  It is made from a beautiful wood and I've been trying to find something to make with it so may try this. 

Recently, I purchased two wagon wheels that are supposedly from the wagons to be sent to Custer just before he got stupid.  A neighbor's grandfather bought a barn full of stuff which included 100 wagon wheels among other things; these are the last two left after his grandmother had sold most of them.  I am trying to think of some way to realistically incorporate these into something for the goats while keeping them protected from the weather.  They are far too big for a cart for NDs to pull.  One of my sons suggested making a hay cart.

Thank you for the photos, Patty. :-)

• Well, Patty I am super impressed and just so darn proud of you til I wish I could give you a big hug and a pat on the back so I hope you sense them coming your way! You go girl! You will be able to do more projects don't you worry!

• Very nice.  I have a crib that belonged to my son's family, a drop-side crib that cannot be used for children but nothing in the warnings about kids.<g>  It is made from a beautiful wood and I've been trying to find something to make with it so may try this. 

Recently, I purchased two wagon wheels that are supposedly from the wagons to be sent to Custer just before he got stupid.  A neighbor's grandfather bought a barn full of stuff which included 100 wagon wheels among other things; these are the last two left after his grandmother had sold most of them.  I am trying to think of some way to realistically incorporate these into something for the goats while keeping them protected from the weather.  They are far too big for a cart for NDs to pull.  One of my sons suggested making a hay cart.

Thank you for the photos, Patty. :-)

This reply was deleted.