Replies

• Thank you Deborah!

• Yes, I've used ivermectin on very young kids. Use 2X the cattle dosage, but that still winds up being <1 cc, so it's best if you use a 1 cc insulin syringe to draw it up and then squirt it on the spine. However, I don't always have any of those and have just used tried to eyeball it with a 3 cc syringe, and the kids have been fine.

Michael Garwood said:

Now, we see that the 10 day old kids are badly infested with lice. (The vet had said not to de-louse the surrogates during pregnancy so that nothing might damage the precious embryos.) 
    What should we do? Tea tee oil? Pour on Ivermectin? Sulphur dusting?
    I note above, from Deborah, that pour on is OK on two-day-old kids.
    Is this correct? Is Ivermectin (pour on)  poured on a 10-day-old  fine? And if so, how does one actually use it? Is it drawn up in a syringe and squirted along the spine?
    Of course, the two new ones are in quarantine, and are being bottle raised now like all the others have been. We certainly don't want the lice to spread!
    Michael
  • We have two 10 day old kids which are the result of embryo transfers. Unfortunately, we were unable to collect them from the surrogates at birth as we had done with all the previous kids (2014 and 2015), and I only was able to pick them up yesterday. (The surrogates, a small herd of Boer x ferals are run at the dairy of a friend, and it is a 4 hour drive each way. This year, I couldn’t be spared at home for several days required to go wait and catch at birth the kids.)
    Now, we see that the 10 day old kids are badly infested with lice. (The vet had said not to de-louse the surrogates during pregnancy so that nothing might damage the precious embryos.) 
    What should we do? Tea tee oil? Pour on Ivermectin? Sulphur dusting?
    I note above, from Deborah, that pour on is OK on two-day-old kids.
    Is this correct? Is Ivermectin (pour on)  poured on a 10-day-old  fine? And if so, how does one actually use it? Is it drawn up in a syringe and squirted along the spine?
    Of course, the two new ones are in quarantine, and are being bottle raised now like all the others have been. We certainly don't want the lice to spread!
    Michael
  • I've used the cattle injectable given orally, and I've used the sheep drench. The cattle injectable is much cheaper because the sheep drench is just diluted a lot more.

Kelly Wood said:

Actally I meant the injectable that is given orally....I had no idea it came in a paste. LOL
  • Okay wonderful. Thank you!

• The paste is the equine version.

Kelly Wood said:

Actally I meant the injectable that is given orally....I had no idea it came in a paste. LOL
  • It is not labeled for use in goats ... however, I've used the pour-on on two-day-old kids that had lice, and I've used the oral drench on kids that were a couple months old.

• Actally I meant the injectable that is given orally....I had no idea it came in a paste. LOL
  • I suppose you mean the paste? Yes its safe. I've used it on 2 month olds.

This reply was deleted.