Introducing new goats

Still want to get Miyagi that Nubian this fall...has anyone added a big got to the little herd & if so were there any precautions.  I know lots of people keep big and little together.  It would be 3 against 1, little to big :)

And also- this will be my first time introducing two adult bucks.  Neither has horns.  Shall I just throw them in together and see what happens?  Are they likely to fight at first?  Should I take Chuckie out at first (he is little) while Miyagi and the new guy meet

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, for starters I can tell you that my Hot Pants is his sires half sister. Her sire is also Hot Stuff! A lot of  these same ones are on my Quills pedigree and that Old Mountain Farm Ballerina has the most beautiful udder I have ever seen. Her son Wild Card is the sire of 2 of my does. Yea, they are very impressive lines, I agree, that is why I bought a lot of the same lines. There are others that crisscross over some of my others also. If you want to see Ballerinas udder, go to Prairie Wood Ranch and click on herd sires OMFs Wild Card will be down that list and Ballerinas udder shot is there. Also, Hot Stuff is on that page because they own him! Very impressive buck!

• Yeah, I think I know what you mean, at least- I have seen Nubians that were kind of delicate and pretty lookin and then then these othersare very thick and just kind of clunky.

This lady owns Bliss:http://www.tlcfarmsdwarfgoats.com/home.html  but she did not breed him.  He was bred by Jefferson's which is now defunkt due to a divorce I believe.

I passed him over the first time I looked at it because his parents did not have any titles besides being from NC Promisedland & Old Mountain Farm...later I googled it and figured out that he's got the rest of all that behind him- sorry the  format i bad  & probably slightly out of order but this is basically his pedigree- starting with sire's side, then after Rosasharn UR Chocolate kiss, dam's side.

NC Promisedland Man on the Moon

NC PROMISEDLAND SS HOT STUFF *S

2*M OLD MOUNTAIN FARM TA-DA!

PROMISEDLAND CP SEYMORE SPOTS *S

GCH 1*M ARMCH PROMISEDLAND CP LIL' BOPEEP *D E92

2006 6th in country for milk production

2007 4th in country for milk production

2007 AGS RESERVE NATIONAL CHAMPION

+B ARMCH Caesar's Villa CBS Cowpoke ++*S 'E'

PromisedLand Cinder Ella 2*D E

1*M MCH DENNING HILL MICHI KASU 'E'

2*M Old Mountain Farm Ballerina 2*D'E' AR2104

Dam to the "2008 AGS National Junior Champion Buck"

1*M Rosasharn's Hazelnut 4*D VG AR 1736

Stonewall's Orbison *S

Rosasharn's Tom's Water Tabby *S

ARMCH Goodwood Water Lily 2*D

Best of Breed 2000 AGS National Champion

ARMCH Goodwood Tom Thumb+*S'E'

2 X AGS National Champion Buck – 1997 and 2000!

Goodwood Penny Lane 5*D

Gay-Mor Berry's Johnny Jump-Up+*S

ARMCH Rosasharn's P'Nut B'Udder Cup 3*D

4th in the country milk production in 2002

ARMCH Rosasharn's Under My Thumb +*S'E'

Rosasharn Ur Chocolate kiss

Old Mountain Farm Obsidian

CH MCH Dawnland Tabby's Halifax 'E'

Rosasharn Tom’s Bit-O-Honey 4*D E

2007 AGS National Champion

Rosasharn’s TL Unregrettable *S+S

++B ARMCH Rosasharn's Tiger L +*S 'E'

2000 AGS National BOB!

ARMCH Rosasharn's Uni 3*D

2002 Breed leader for milk production and protein! 2003 Breed leader for milk production and protein! 2003 breed leader and record breaker for milk production with 1601# in 305 days!

All time breed leader

HIGHEST LIFETIME MILK PRODUCTION

AGS TOP 10 Production: 2002 #1mlk, #1BF, #2prot.

2003 #1mlk,#1BF, #3prot.

2004 #1mlk, #1BF,#1prot.

2005 #2mlk, #1BF, #3prot.

2006 #4mlk, #1BF, #6prot. 2007 #2mlk, #3BF, #5Prot.

ARMCH Goodwood Tom Thumb +*S

2 X AGS National Champion Buck – 1997 and 2000!

ARMCH Rosasharn's Buckwheat Honey 3*D E 3*M EEEE91 

2nd in the country for milk production (2008)

7th in the country in butterfat (2009),

5th in protein (2008)

ARMCH Rosasharn's P'Nut B'Udder Cup 3*D

4th in the country milk production in 2002

Stonewall's Apocalypse Now +*S

Goodwood Alamo Messenger++S

Rosasharn's Baby Usa *D

#1 in the country for milk production in 1999

Stonewall's Baby 'Uddercup 2*D AR1599

#10 in the country for milk production in 1999

Gay-Mor Kingwood ++*S

It'll Do's Chalktaw *D

ARMCH Rosasharn's Eclipse 2*D

2005 AGS NATIONAL CHAMPION at age 10

• You are right about all of that. I loved the Nubians and feel the same way about the look. That is why I liked mine better than what I see nowadays because they seem to have even more exaggerated features now than way back then. I do LOVE the Nubian ears. And of course I feel they have the best milk of the full size breeds. I will take a look at her site. If you get a chance, look up www.sandrockacres.com, this is the lady near me.

I still want to checkout this place you are getting Bliss from , after you tell us the herd he is coming from.

• Yes, I expect Miyagi will protect Chuckie.

I am going up to this place called Indian Hill Ranch to check it out...she breeds Nubians.  They are in Fort Meade, FL, if you google it you should get it.  I have emailed with her but don't know that much as I haven't been there.  I originally thought all Nubians were ugly but they are growing on me.  Personally I think Alpines are much prettier but the Nubians have the higher butterfat so I am thinking it will be more like ND milk to us who are spoiled by it.

• I'd introduce through fences first and I would leave Chuckie so the new buck understands clearly that he was there first that makes him more of a threat to the new guy and therefore safer for him. Besides I imagine that Miyagi will look out for him from what you have said about his past actions.

Do you have a Nubian breeder around you or a line on one. I have a big time one around me and have considered doing this so I can have Mini Nubians but I am just not sure yet. This lady has been showing them for about 30 years and has all kinds of Champs but I just really don't care for the way they look compared to my more ordinary looking Nubians that I did have.

• First of all, I wouldn't worry to much about adding a Nubian doe, especially with the 1/3 ratio. I would not want her to be very old because she may be more self-assured and aggressive. However anyone will probably be fine as long as there are no horns but I think that younger would be even safer.

Have you any age picked that you prefer? If you could find one now that is at least 6 months to maybe 10 months that would be a nice age to mix with them. If you need to wait til spring I wouldn't want to go much older than a year. I would think it would be hard to find one in the spring time though.

This reply was deleted.