Hay

Hello all! I currently feed my goats timothy hay because my horses eat it. They like it but is there another, less expensive, hay that they would like just as much? I'm in Southern California and the most readily available hays seem to be alfalfa, bermuda, orchard, and timothy. They get a little bit of alfalfa pellets in the morning and hay the rest of the time. On weekends they are loose on 3 acres to eat weeds, trees and whatever else they feel like eating :) I have 5 goats (4 Nigerian and 1 Pygmy), all wethers., the youngest are just over 1 and the oldest is 4. Thanks in advance!

You need to be a member of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats to add comments!

Join Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Correct about the alfalfa. :)

Teresa Seipel said:

Thank you! We used to feed them orchard but they didn't seem to like it as much. They only have access to grass and browse on the weekends as they are in their pen when we aren't home so I will try orchard again, or maybe even bermuda. Alfalfa is not as good for them (because of the extra calcium??), correct?
  • Thank you! We used to feed them orchard but they didn't seem to like it as much. They only have access to grass and browse on the weekends as they are in their pen when we aren't home so I will try orchard again, or maybe even bermuda. Alfalfa is not as good for them (because of the extra calcium??), correct?
  • Wethers are extremely easy keepers. You can feed them the least expensive grass hay that you can find, assuming it is NOT moldy or brown. Moldy hay would make them sick, and brown hay could wind up causing vitamin A deficiency, although if you're in So. Cal. they might still get enough green feed outside year round to avoid that. If your wethers have access to green grass and browse year round, they may not even need hay except on days when they can't go out because it's raining.

This reply was deleted.