Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

As is my nature I am obsessing and worrying again about the debudding of my first 2 babies...I have been trying in vain to get hold of my vet since Thursday...I did speak to her business partner Friday because she was out of town doing training...but could not get hold of her again today to try and get the babies done.

Today the babies are 22 days old...Is it just to late now to debud them?

I am so confused by all of this and am tempted to just let them grow horns and buy me a bag of wine corks so they can't hurt each other.

It has been such a long few days already with having to get rid of the dog for nipping my youngen one to many times...Ready to pack up my bedroll and run away to the city. :(

Views: 225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would think that 22 days would be pushing it, but maybe someone with enough experience could still do it?  I have a breeder friend who waits two weeks as a rule, and then disbuds with a calf dehorner.  I think that if the dehorner can still fit over the bid, there's a chance of it working.  It will be much harder now, as those kids get strong fast.  I had to redo one of my bucklings that was 14 days(?) old, and it was hard for my hubby to hold on to him.  The thing is, the horn tissue starts at the bud, and then spreads out from there.  The older they get, the more spread out it is, especially toward the front.  If all the horn tissue isn't burned, scurs will grow.

I'm kind of a newbie still, so I hope someone else will give you an answer soon. :)  Might not be the same as mine.

Thnx Patty...She finally answered my text this morning as she was on an emergency call yesterday and late into the night...but she can not get out here until Thursday (babies will be 24days old by then)...fairly freaking out now.

Other than scurs, I wonder what other risks are there doing it so late? 

She has mentioned using lydercain so I guess that will help keep the babies still? I am so dumb at this stuff...which is why it is supposed to be hubby doing the goat stuff being they are his goats...but hmmm guess what

LOL!  Yeah, funny how that works, isn't it. ;)  I think lidocaine is only a local anesthetic, so no, it probably wouldn't help them to stay still.  IMO, it's the holding tightly they object to more than anything.  If she's not worried about it, maybe she knows what she's talking about??  I haven't heard about any other risks from doing it later, but again, newbie speaking. :)  Wishing you and kids the best on Thursday!  Praying she has no more emergencies to keep her away.

What Patty said is right on. When we were still new and hating the idea of disbudding, we're procrastinate and procrastinate and wound up doing some kids that were three weeks. We never wound up with scurs on does, but we did on bucks and even some wethers. Hopefully the vet is experienced enough to get the whole horn bud.

OMGOsh I just want to cry....My poor vet is in the emergency room with a dislocated shoulder from her first call out...needless to say she will not be coming today.

Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:

What Patty said is right on. When we were still new and hating the idea of disbudding, we're procrastinate and procrastinate and wound up doing some kids that were three weeks. We never wound up with scurs on does, but we did on bucks and even some wethers. Hopefully the vet is experienced enough to get the whole horn bud.

Oh, man!  So sorry to hear that.  :( 

Oh, no! {hugs}

Oh, bless your heart! I don't know what to tell you about this one! But I do have some good advice for later, line up a backup vet for emergencies, ad buy a disbudding iron! You can do it yourself, if all of us can and its way cheaper! Actually that is what I would do now! I know an excellent breeder who will reburn if necessary at 4 months I know, so I don't see why not do a first at 3 weeks! If the vet was going to do it today, 2 days from now would work too and that is long enough to get an iron to you, if ordered!

Fortunately her partner is going to be in the area tomorrow so is going to do them...Please pray it all goes well and happens tomorrow...If not I am going to take the hint and give up.

Will not forget you dear! Keep us informed!

Will do!  Hope to hear the good news that all's well soon. :)

As I feared with all the delays their "buds" are now little horns and just to far along to mess with...But we will know for next time (which is just around the corner as Deenie is due March 12th) and fortunately we are doing all our fencing in sheep/goat wire so the risk of them getting stuck in a fence is going to be minimal.
Thank you all for your help, responses and prayers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Order these books on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

2-quart milk pail


Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2014   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service