Replies

• My buyer's think the little pouch left behind with the burdizzo is funny. I tell them it's the wether's souvenir and they think it is hilarious.  

• I castrated a 3-year-old LaMancha with a Burdizzo, and it worked fine.

Maggie said:

I know this was asked on here before so I’m sorry but I couldn’t find it so here it goes again... What about adult bucks? I rescued two adult bucks from my local pound recently that need to be castrated. At their size will a burdizzo still be effective or do I need to band at this point?
  • Oh, plus  no one will buy my registered wethers with sacks hanging down esp. for show for 4H.  It's very unsightly using burdizzo.

• Yes .. kids won't mess with the bands and they act like nothing even happened...the sack falls off and no blood no infections nothing, best way I have found as well as my breeder friends and I have extremely positive feed back on banding and banding my own. It's too easy to miss a tube with burdizzo on a kid, the older ones you can easily find it..  The older adults, don't seem to handle banding well trying to get it off and act funny, kids don't have a clue  LOL   Just my professional experience over 10 years doing this...  Good luck

• That’s funny Trish I burdizzo bucklings but wasn’t sure if it’d work on adults. I guess we’ll see
  • I have found the only time I would advise Burdizzo is on adult bucks..but you better have someone strong to hold them  LOL....   kids banding is preferred.

Maggie said:

I know this was asked on here before so I’m sorry but I couldn’t find it so here it goes again... What about adult bucks? I rescued two adult bucks from my local pound recently that need to be castrated. At their size will a burdizzo still be effective or do I need to band at this point?
  • I know this was asked on here before so I’m sorry but I couldn’t find it so here it goes again... What about adult bucks? I rescued two adult bucks from my local pound recently that need to be castrated. At their size will a burdizzo still be effective or do I need to band at this point?
  • Yes m'am I surely do disbud... one gets immune to it.  My doelings don't make too much noise the bucklings are the crybabies.  My aversion is NOT to the screaming as I've seen people use the burdizzo and it's very painful for the goat and I've seen them behave like it hurts afterwards.  So far I have not seen any bad reactions after banding.  My bucklings after I band act like it never happened and that is the feedback I get from my buyers as well.  I solved the disbudding smell by putting baking soda on the buds after the antiseptic and it helps the smell. People think that's crazy, but it works..
      As I mentioned..everyone has an opinion and people believe what they wish.

Maggie said:

Just curious Trish, do you disbud? I know you said your aversion was to the screaming which I know is upsetting in the moment though it’s fast and done instead of waiting for the scrotum to die and fall off. But if you do disbud how do you justify the need for that screaming?
  • Just curious Trish, do you disbud? I know you said your aversion was to the screaming which I know is upsetting in the moment though it’s fast and done instead of waiting for the scrotum to die and fall off. But if you do disbud how do you justify the need for that screaming?
  • Last year I banded, and ended up with one kid having an area under the band becoming an open sore. It was like the band was cutting into his skin because of tightness and friction. I felt terrible watching it become puffy and slightly infected. I cleaned it twice a day until it healed, but it was worrisome and couldn't have felt good either.

This year I used an emasculatome. While it was tougher in the moment (took longer and yes, the kids screamed), I felt confident that they wouldn't experience frightening infections.
This reply was deleted.