Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

Hi everyone---I have a question about my 4 year old doe, Memilly.   I purchased her in April...she kidded in mid-May (triplet bucklings).  She had a BoSe injection in April, about a month prior to kidding. 

All the rest of  the goats (bucks and does)  have been getting the Selenium/Vit. E gel, with good success.  (We COWP/Selenium gel them all monthly due to our really hard water.)

My question is:  How long is a BoSe injection good for/how long does it last (in a goat's system), and how soon should I be giving her the Selenium/Vit.E gel?

Views: 654

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BoSe injections don't last very long at all. In fact, the pee out about 50% of it within the first 24 hours, which is why it's not a good long-term solution in a situation where you know you have chronic deficiency.

I also wanted to mention that long-term monthly COWP has NOT been researched, and I would be concerned about following that protocol. We have extremely bad water with both sulfur and iron, and we were having all kinds of infertility problems before we started using COWP, and I only do it every 3-4 months. I have seen a couple of studies where they did monthly COWP for up to four months during the summer, but never longer than that. 

Thanks for the info Deborah.  Wow!  Glad I didn't buy a bottle of BoSe from our vet...sounds like it is a waste of money.

And thanks for letting me know about the COWP....we have only been doing the monthly COWP since March, I think.  I will back off to less often, now that I know.  

Is doing the Selenium/Vit. E gel also dangerous, when given monthly (long term)?

You can buy selenium with E as a separate mineral and offer it to them free choice, just as you do with their regular minerals. Valley Vet is one source, I'm sure there are others.

Marie S. said:

Thanks for the info Deborah.  Wow!  Glad I didn't buy a bottle of BoSe from our vet...sounds like it is a waste of money.

And thanks for letting me know about the COWP....we have only been doing the monthly COWP since March, I think.  I will back off to less often, now that I know.  

Is doing the Selenium/Vit. E gel also dangerous, when given monthly (long term)?

A vet professor that spoke at the ADGA convention a few years ago gave a session on selenium and said never supplement with a syringe. Injectable is great if you have a goat that is gravely ill from selenium deficiency and has white muscle disease because it's very fast acting, but using it a regular strategy for dealing with chronic selenium deficiency is not the best idea.

I've run the number on the gel a few times, and it really does not seem like there is much selenium in there at all. I quit buying it years ago. Here is the info on the gel and the injection:

http://www.jefferspet.com/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTQvMDkvMDgvMTMvMzkvMzM...

The gel has 23.2 mcg per 2 ml dose, which is .0232 mg.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e079f3-7b6a-11d5-...

BoSe has 1 mg of selenium per 1 ml dose, which is almost 50 times more selenium that what is in the gel.

I have no idea why the manufacturer of the gel says that it should be the only selenium supplement your goat receives and that it should only be given monthly. One of these days I'm going to make time to contact a few people and try to figure that out. Anyway, it's definitely not dangerous to give it monthly.

I've been dosing with Replamin Gel Plus for a year now and LOVE it. I give this in addition to COWP and free-choice Sweetlix meat maker minerals. Dosing with the RGP has definitely lowered their intake of the sweetlix (although they do still eat it) and has helped me stretch my COWP further. I give 5cc every 3-4 weeks to everyone over 6 months and have had no sign of selenium deficiency since I started with it.  

Here's the manufacturer info:

https://jeffers.naccvp.com/view.php?u=jeffers&p=cvp&prodnum...

This is where I get it:
http://www.jefferspet.com/products/replamin-gel-plus?via=533884a29f...

What do you think of this one Deborah? Is the Selenium content too high for a free-choice supplement? 
I can get a 50# bag of it for $19.50

Deborah Niemann-Boehle said:

A vet professor that spoke at the ADGA convention a few years ago gave a session on selenium and said never supplement with a syringe. Injectable is great if you have a goat that is gravely ill from selenium deficiency and has white muscle disease because it's very fast acting, but using it a regular strategy for dealing with chronic selenium deficiency is not the best idea.

I've run the number on the gel a few times, and it really does not seem like there is much selenium in there at all. I quit buying it years ago. Here is the info on the gel and the injection:

http://www.jefferspet.com/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTQvMDkvMDgvMTMvMzkvMzM...

The gel has 23.2 mcg per 2 ml dose, which is .0232 mg.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e079f3-7b6a-11d5-...

BoSe has 1 mg of selenium per 1 ml dose, which is almost 50 times more selenium that what is in the gel.

I have no idea why the manufacturer of the gel says that it should be the only selenium supplement your goat receives and that it should only be given monthly. One of these days I'm going to make time to contact a few people and try to figure that out. Anyway, it's definitely not dangerous to give it monthly.

That looks like the ingredients that were in the selenium I used to get from Caprine Supply. The idea behind free choice is that the goats will take what they need. Having wheat middlings as the medium is excellent because the goats won't confuse that with any other supplements. I will definitely be looking into this as I know a couple of Fertrell dealers! Thanks for sharing!

Okay awesome! It's definitely the best price I've found because I won't have to pay a separate shipping fee and it has way more selenium in it than the stuff I got from Hoegger supply. Glad it helped :)

Thanks for sharing this information, Emily. I'll be looking for a dealer soon!

Update on my Selenium from Fertrell! I got it today and put it out for the first time this evening. They went completely nuts for it!! They almost completely ignored the other selenium powder I had so now I'm a bit concerned about them over-dosing on selenium. I'm glad they liked it though! It definitely smelled better than the other stuff I had. I've been out of kelp for a few weeks and got that in today as well but the girls chose the selenium powder over the kelp!!

Thanks for the update, Emily!

I'm having trouble finding this brand in my area! The one I got for mine has much less selenium and they have almost gone through 5 lbs in ONE WEEK!! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Books written by Deborah Niemann

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2020   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service