Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

for people who love the littlest dairy goats

Anemic first freshener and an unsuccessful vet visit

I am worried about my little goat. I am feeding her rolled oats, alfalfa pellets + timothy pellets, supplemented with MannaPro Goat Balancer. I am slowly transitioning her from the oats to Dumors Sweet Goat Feed.  She has some access to brush on a daily basis. 

She is nursing two month old babies and I noticed her body condition has been pretty boney. She looks like the skinny goat in "Raising Goats Naturally" on page 66. Some of her hair on her rump has skin crusties at the base of it but they do not move. Her coat is still shiny. She is active. She is nursing her two babies but seems to always be uneven in her udder with one side a good bit heavier than the other. I have not attempted to milk her because I am worried about her body condition and as discussed in a previous post, she will not be able to handle the babies needs and my milking her. Her eye lids are a light pink but under her tail is kind of pastey looking. 

I think it is worms and maybe copper deficiency with the hair looking scaly? I haven't wormed her in two years because she has always been just fine.

I took a fresh fecal sample to the vet this afternoon (I caught it on the way down and was super proud of my poo catching abilities) but he would not take the time to look at the sample. He said, "If you aren't worming her every two months it is worms." I said, "But how do I know what wormer to buy if I don't know what kind of worms?" He said, "just get the kind that kills the dangerous ones. Give her one click of Ivermactin every two months." He said it wouldn't affect the baby goats she was nursing.

I ordered some Goat Copper Bolus from Amazon but it won't be here for a few days and I am hesitant to wait. Any opinions on this?

Thank you so much!  

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I breed mini-Nubians.  I'm only up to F2, and my F2 kids are still 50% nubian and 50%nigerian dwarf.  All my grown 50/50 mini-Nubians are around 90 to 110 lbs, I'm pretty sure.  They're definitely larger than 60 lbs.  so she is small.  I must say your doe's kid looks like some of our first generation kids.  It's always possible she is a mini-Nubian with a smaller percentage of nubian, like 25%nubian and 75%ND.  We do have one that has some pretty erect ears for mini-Nubians, but they're still quite large ears.  Her picture is the second photo here.  

Not the greatest picture, but these are typical ears for first generation (F1) 50/50 mini-Nubians.  There's also a nigerian dwarf doe who weighs 50 lbs. in this picture for a size comparison.

The doeling in this picture has the most upright earset we've ever had with our mini-nubians, but we have a lot of basically airplane ears, or what's called 3/4 drop, where they're partly hanging down, but not fully.  There are also some ND kids in this picture, so don't look at their ears of a reference. :)

What beautiful little goats Patty! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me! :) Are yours naturally polled or do you disbud them? 

Thank you, and you're welcome. :) I do disbud them, but there are two kids in this group that have been allowed to keep their horns because their new owners want them to have horns. I don't have any polled genetics going. I did have a doe who took three weeks to even begin to get tiny buds, and if I remember right I disbudded her on day 24. That is crazy, and would never normally work. Her brother was getting horns already when I thought I could tell that she was going to be horned. I thought I had a fluke polled kid from two horned parents. I never wait longer than a week, and usually do the boys after one or two days unless they're very tiny babies, or seem weak for some reason. Worst job on the farm! :)

Meghan DeGroot said:

What beautiful little goats Patty! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me! :) Are yours naturally polled or do you disbud them? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Order this book on Kindle!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Need goat equipment?

Yogurt Maker

2-quart milk pail

Mineral feeder (put minerals in one side and baking soda in the other!)

© 2017   Created by Deborah Niemann-Boehle.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service